Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:41 PM   #1

Such houses in ruins, perhaps due to the vibration on their lively contours, really appeals to me..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:45 AM   #2

Great shot, bahadir. I love ruins to both see and photograph. They tell stories. When I have the opportunity to visit them, I always try to picture how life was like hundreds of years previous on that same exact location. People walking by, children running around. It's simply fascinating!!!

I was curious to see how the stones would look like with aslightlywarmertone (hope you don't mind).
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:11 AM   #3

Dear Tullio, I do appreciate your trouble for enhancing this shot. Stones in warmer tone is definately what I would also like to attain. Maybe I should have shifted the WB from AWB to cloudy as you mentioned some time ago, exlanation of how you managed to capture a summer-like image in winter.
Sometimes, as the cook of a dish, one may not fully evaluate his/her own product. So, please do not spare your criticism, no matter how harsh they could be:-)
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:56 AM   #4

I noticed that the sky on your photo is almost white, which is an indication of either a cloudy day or overexposure (perhaps you setup the camera this way in order to obtain more details from the rocky wall). You are correct, I do use the WB set to cloudy on sunny days to obtain warmer tones. Perhaps this shot would greatly benefit from this technique. I don't know how far this place is from your are but if you have a chance to go back there, give it a try. Cheers!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:36 PM   #5

Tullio, pleased to hear another worthy commentory from you.
In fact, it was a cloudy day and because the shot seemed somewhat dark to me, I adjusted its levels in PS to attain a more emphasized texture of the wall at the cost of this overexposed sky you mention. The place is some 20 minutes drive from my house, so, I think I will have the opportunity of re-shooting it soon, keeping your kind advice :-)
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:26 AM   #6

This is an interesting location. Could you share more photos from other angles, etc.?
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:54 PM   #7

Ladyhawk, thank you for your appreciation. And here's one more with all my pleasure:-)
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:05 PM   #8

Thanks for posting a full version of that building, bahadir. Is this an areasurrounded byother similar buildings or is this an isolated ruin?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:10 PM   #9

Tullio, I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who's mad about such houses in ruins. I almost find them to be the best possible architecture adapted to nature :-)
This building is in a nearby town called Urla or Klazomenia with its ancient name.There are many old stone buildings in that town most of which are renovated. As a matter of fact you may see a few ruins in the area just occasionally and this is just an isolated ruin which I do not believe to have any historical value.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:36 PM   #10

Thanks for the detailed explanation, bahadir. It must be a very interesting location to visit (and you are only 20 minutes away...lucky guy!!!).