Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 2003, 3:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4
Default Need 220v Battery Charger

We're leaving for Switzerland soon, so I need a 220 volt battery charger that will accomodate AA batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation? I suppose another alternative would be to use my 12 volt charge and plug it into a european car. Are the cars 12 volts like in the States?
skychaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2003, 4:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
sjms's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,735

go to www.thomas-distributing.com. look at the maha 204 or the 401 charger and option in the international charger. i have it and then get the appropriate plug adapter

mod: MHC401FS200DCW comes with a set of 2000mah batteries
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 140

Yes the cigarette lighters in european cars are the same. You could also buy a 220/12V power supply rather than a whole new charger. Or get yourself a voltage/travel adapter, which should work fine on your charger. They are about $10 from Radio Shack.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 5:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 140

I just checked Radioshack. The price is $16.99 and here's a link: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1401

They also have one for more countries worldwide: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1412

Here's a listing of ALL their converters. Stick with the lower wattage ones since they are transformers and will give you a true sine wave AC for electronic devices. The higher wattage units use a diode to create halfwave AC which is a cheap and dirty way to drop the voltage, but will NOT work for electronic devices. These are designed for motor or light/heat applications such as a hair drier. http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...3%5F000&Page=1

Also be sure that if you buy an adapter elsewhere it is a VOLTAGE converter not an outlet adapter. The adapter will only allow you to plug a 110V device into the outlet which is 220V. This is not good. The voltage adapter will convert the 220VAC (50Hz) to 110VAC (50Hz). It is a slightly lower frequency than the US 60Hz, but will work fine for most electronic devices.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:57 PM.