Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 28, 2003, 5:04 PM   #1

Default MAHA C204F OVERHEATING?

My batteries are getting pretty warm while charging in this unit. Is the C204F a fastcharger? Will this shorten the battery life? :?:
skychaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2003, 5:39 PM   #2
lg

It's normal for the batteries to get warm, even hot during charging. I'd recommend opening the plastic cover during charging to help dissapate the heat. I can't answer the question about heat shortening the battery life...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 5:40 PM   #3

Are they too hot to touch? How long do they take to charge? (and what mHa rating is on the batteries?) I would be surprised if it were overheating the batteries (you are right to worry about this, though. Over heading is really bad.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 5:55 PM   #4

Default ... battery life?

The batteries I have now are the Powerex 1800's. I'm concerned about the battery life with this Maha, because I had several sets of Nexcell 1500's that I charged with a similar Maha... and they only lasted about 1 1/2 years. Is it normal to have these batteries poop out like this? I use my camera regularly... about once a week.
Old May 29, 2003, 9:03 AM   #5

I believe that heat will shorten battery life, but it has to get quite hot for that to be a problem (too hot to touch, at least.) From what every one has said, the Maha charger doesn't get them that hot.

skychaney

How often do you charge the batteries? Once a week as well? Powerex are good batteries, I'd expect them to last awhile (your new ones.) I don't know anything about Nexcell. Could be well made, or maybe not.
Old May 29, 2003, 9:18 AM   #6

Default Not too hot...

The batteries don't get too hot to touch.... so I suppose the Maha may be working OK. One problem is that if I don't use the batteries for awhile... over a month.... they discharge themselves. And I've heard that you're supposed to keep them charged up if you want them to last long.
Old May 29, 2003, 1:37 PM   #7

That is a good question. I don't know if it's good or bad for the battery if it sits discharged. I assume it's ok... they sit on the shelf for a while before being sold. Long enough to be dead (if they are ever charged even once before being sold!)

Some people get a charger which includes a car adapter. That way they can "top off" their batteries while on route. Of course, that won't usually be enough for a dead battery, but it helps for ones which are a week old.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 5:41 AM   #8

I use a Rayovac one hour charger. It is the fastest available, so I would assume the batteries get warmer than any other charger, but I could be wrong. If the batteries are VERY discharged when I charge them they will be very warm immediately after charging, but cool quickly. I can handle them easily. I read somewhere that the heat level that will destroy NiMH batteries is somewhere around 200 degrees celcius, which would burn your hands! I think that the heat "problem" has been created by peoples imaginations. I have used my charger regularly for about 2 years with NO loss of battery capacity or dead cells.

If the batteries are too hot to handle, or explode they are too hot!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote