Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:44 PM   #1

We just received a Pentax S55 Optio digital camera and intend to purchase the Duracell 15 minute charger kit (CEF-15NC) which is supposed to come with 4 AA 2400 batteries (Circuit City $35.00).

#1- Would someone know if this charger comes with indicator lights to show when batteries are still charging and when charging has completed (or when batteries CANNOT be recharged)? If not, how can you tell when recharge completed?

#2- Can other NIMC be recharged or only Duracell?

#3- Can Duracell batteries higher than 2400 be recharged on this unit?

Thank you for any help.
robert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:12 PM   #2

Hi-

I didn' get reply to my original post and so I went out and bought the Duracell 15 minute rechargeable kit at Target. When I got home I put the 4 x 2400mah batteries into the charger and the red light came on and the fan turned on. I was expecting the red light and fan to turn off after 15 minutes, but it continued for about 60 minutes and then the red light turned off (fan continued).

I read the short "operating instructions" on the insert and it read: "batteries that are new or been stored for an extended period may need to be charged and used 2-3 times before optimal charge performance is achieved."

Would that be the reason the batteries I input for charging (the batteries that came with the kit) took about 60 minutes to charge?

Would appreciate and definitive comments, especially from someone who had similar results with their CEF15NC. And if the batteries did take a long time when charging for the first time, did they take 15 minutes to charge after that?

Or do I have to return this 'kit' as non-functioning (which would be a chore for us due to the traveling)?

Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:37 PM   #3

I haven't used that charger, but I have found that with my new Lithium batteries, the first charge takes a little bit longer than usual. Just use the batteries a few times and see if the charge time gets shorter.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:53 PM   #4

Thank you.

Are (your) lithium batteries the same as (my) 2400mah batteries? If not, would they both be about the same when charging new ones for the first time? (Where they would take longer to charge.)

Thank you.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:08 AM   #5

Ray-o-vac has a simaliar 15 minute charger that I have. It will charge normal rechargeable batteries or the 15 minute recharge batteries. All you do is put them in and it knows which are which.
Metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote