Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

I found these on the rack at Wal-Mart's camera section and thought I'd give them a try, since they were only $4.99 a pack. Bad news. On my LaCrosse, they only came up from 650 to 700 mAH,similar tomy 4-pack of 3 year old worn out from daily use Duracell 750s that came up in the 600s. This was after a few cycles in "refresh" mode. I don't know the manufacturer, but they're blue and made in China with white tops.

By comparison, a pack of Duracell 1000sfrom Wal-Mart came up in the mid 900s on their first charge/discharge.

A side note: I've been analyzing batteries for 25 years in the two-way radio business, and have seen the good, bad, and ugly of batteries sincethe state of the art was425 mAH AA NiCad. I remember giving a "thumbs down" to NiMH 10 years ago when they first came out (average lifespan 6 months!) and seeing my first Nexcell 1200s melt down in the charger. Things have sure come a long way!

Now if we could just get rid of mislabeled junk batteries and return AAs to their normal height and width, life would be perfect...

Update: The manufacturer's name on the package was Sakar.
Old Comedywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

I bought these as well under the Digital brand name. they last slightly longer In my Sandisk Mp3 player than my rayovac 750's, but only by about 30 minutes.
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

Let the buyer beware when purchasing geneic NiMH batteries. If it does not list the capacity avoid them. Stick with brand names like Sanyo, PowerEx, MAHA, AccuPower, Ray-o-Vac and Duracell. Good batteries and chargers. I avoid Energizer alkaline and NiMH batteries because of leaking issues.
geodephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:49 PM   #4

geodephoto wrote:
Quote:
I avoid Energizer alkaline and NiMH batteries because of leaking issues.
I've never had normal Energizer batteries leak, but I have had Energizer "industrial" batteries leak (a mysterious "ticking" sound) when sitting discharged on a shelf.

Ray-O-Leak alkaline batteries, however, are a different story. And who can forget the corroded contacts caused by their stupid green taped yellow and blue batteries when we were kids...

And Sony lithium batteries...they just go boom.
Old Comedywriter is offline   Reply With Quote