Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:29 PM   #11

Hello Donato,

It sounds like they did not get fully charged the first time. You should check them again after a few discharge/charge cycles. They should come off the charger at around 1.44 volts and hold above 1.38 volts for a few weeks.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:44 PM   #12

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the expert advice! Currently I'm shooting with the eneloop's (still on their original charge), but I'm glad to know that the 2500 Sanyo's basically should work too. Unfortunately my AccuManager charger has no discharge function (they say, it's not necessary because of the special technology they use).

Donato
donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Administrator

Don't forget about the environmental temperature (not usually a problem here in Florida) - in colder temps those NiMH cells will discharge faster - lithium is best for winter time use or for very infrequent use with lots of storage time.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:21 PM   #14

Hello Steve

I want to grab the opportunity to say Thank You for your incredible site! It's been the number one place for me to get informed about digital cams since I ran across it!

BTW I like your squirrel! I spend x-mas usually in Clearwater FL (it gets too cold in Switzerland for the cells during this times) and shot a few squirrels - however never met one with a camera!

Donato
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:56 PM   #15
Administrator

All of our squirrels carry cameras to take pictures of the Swiss tourists :G
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:03 PM   #16

... only they hide them from the tourists ... grrrr
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:06 PM   #17

Right now, there is nothing that beats the Energizer e^2 L91 in shelf life. I just bought a pack of them and the expiration year on mine is 2021, not a typo. 15 years.

These batteries are very expensive and gives you maybe 25-30% more than a fully charged 2700mAh NiMH, assuming the NiMH is used on the same day it was fully charged. Battery for battery, the cost is about the same as NiMH and it can only be used once.

I wouldn't make them regular use batteries, but they're handy for cameras that only gets used every once in a while, yet alkalines don't give quite give you the service life you want.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote