Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:45 PM   #1
mrb

I am still using alkaline AA batteries in my Canon S2 IS (takes 4 AA) since I never decided on which NiMH batteries and charger to purchase! In my research, I have seen that NiMH batteries will self-discharge when sitting idle. We typically use the camera for several hours at soccer games, parties, etc, but then it sits for a few weeks without being used. It seems I have had to change the alkalines after every 3-4 uses, which is about every month or two. Based on this usage, would it be better to spend the money on Lithium AA's for the better shelf life, or would NiMH's be okay?

I have also seem recommendations to leave NiMH's in the charger until ready to use, but should the chargers really be on trickle charge constantly for weeks?

Would the new Eneloop be a better option? I just read the Eneloop post at the top of this forum saying that Ritz camera has them 4 for $11.99. Is a special charger required?

Thanks

mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:13 AM   #2

I would go with NiMh if only to save the planet froma mountainof alkaline batteries.

I would buy eight batteries, put 4 in the camera, 4 in a packet tucked into the camera bag.

Even after a couple of weeks idle, if you forget to charge them, with two sets you will still get a couple of hundred pictures.

Normally you would, the night before a shoot, spend all of an hour or so recharging the spares, swap into the camera and charge the others.

If you really want to cut down on charging time then buy a 15min charger, though since those generate more heat that will in the long run cut down the number of times the batteries can be charged.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:55 PM   #3

To add, I would recomend Powerex or Sanyo 2700 NiMH AAs.I purchase my NiMH cells through Thomas Distributing.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

Alkaline have the longest shelf life, runs into years. Lithium batteries hold their charge well, but keep them out of the camera. Nimh and nicad are the worst for storage.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:30 PM   #5

Hello Mrb,

I have found that the Eneloop batteries are very good in applications like you mentioned. I should also point out that they are very new and we don't know how well they will hold up over extended use. I have been using them since they were available in Japan and have had no problems, but that has only been a few months.

Eneloop cells are charged in any NiMh charger.

I don't recommend leaving cells in a charger to constantly trickle charge, unless you use a timer that only allows the charger to charge for a short period of time each day. Maha has two chargers that you could probably get away with leaving cells in them for extended periods of time (C808M and C801D), but I still don't recommend it.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

My recomendation is to use Sanyo's new Eneloop NiMH battery. It has a low self-discharge rate of about 10% per year, good low temperature performance, andthe battery is 100% recyclable.The batteriescan also be used right from the retail package without the need to charge initially. Cost per use is on par with alkaline cells if you use them for 55% or more of the usable life of 1000 charge cycles. I also agree that the batteries should not be kept in the charger for too long after their recharge cycle has completed. I'm using a set of 4 in my Canon A620 with good results. RitzCamera.com sells them in the US.

If you opt for NiMH in general, I would recommend Sanyo 2700 mAh. I've used these quite a bit in my Canon Flashes and am happy with the recycle time and number of flashes per set.

Avoid Energizer 2500 mAh batteries. I bought 16 of them and 11 split on initial charging in Energizer chargers. (Energizer appologized and sent 11 replacements of which 6 of the 11 failed.) Also, all the equipment I have ever owned that was damaged by a leaking battery, the battery was made by Energizer.

My main conern about Alkaline batteries is they are not generally rececyclable. Worldwide, approximately 10 billion of these batteries are made every year and most of these batteries end up in landfills.

Attached Images

geodephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:21 PM   #7

I bought Sanyo 2500 NIMH's along with one of the best chargers, for use in my Canon A620. I got pretty disappointed, because I did not know about the self-discharge factor of NIMH's when they are not in immediate and regular use.* It happened to me that they were 'fully loaded' at night and the next day on a trip cam said* 'please change batteries' :-(. (Luckily the A620 always accepts regular AA's which are available just everywhere in an emergency).I read about the eneloop's - and bought 8 pcs right away over the internet from the other side of the planet, because they are not available here. Price was about 38 $ for all 8 including shipping. I think the eneloop's are great for everyone who usually doesn't shoot many hundreds of pics right after recharging the batteries.
donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:00 PM   #8

Hello Donato,

There must be something wrong with either your cells or your charger. The Sanyo 2500 mAh cells have about 93% of their full capacity after 7 days of storage. It sounds like yours died overnight.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:20 AM   #9

Hi Tom!

It seems to me strange too. I suspect it has to do with the fact, that NIMH's get their full capacity only after going through a few charge/discharge cycles. When I got this Sanyo's, I charged them all and put them aside. At this point they had 1.35 V. A few days later they were down to i.e. only 0.9 V! A bit strange was, that it took very long (over night) till the LED stopped blinking and showed 'fully charged' and some of the batteries got a bit warm. Oddly enough, the ones I use in a CD walkman work just fine ... BTW charger is an AccuManager 10.

donato
donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:42 AM   #10

I have Duracell's for my S1IS and they work well, I have 4 sets but I also use in my wireless keyboard and mouse and various other devices. I bought the 20 min charger and if I'm not sure the charge is full I'll just toss them on to top them up.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote