Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

Hello,

Does anyone know if the iPowerUS FC-501 charger can charge 2300 or 2500 mah batteries? I think it was originally designed for 2100 mah batteries.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:42 PM   #2

Hello Juggernaut,

Probably...

They don't give enough information in their specifications to know for sure.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:50 AM   #3

Yes, it is a smart charger so it will charge them fully, it may take a little longer than the 2100 though.
tien88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4

Hello Tien,

Keep in mind that a "smart charger" usually has an intelligent way to end the charge without harming the battery. Its ability to charge a higher capacity cell is determined by the charge rate and the safety timer shut off settings.

I have not been able to locate this information, so I don't know what the maximum charge the charger can deliver.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:36 AM   #5

Hi,

I did buy this charger after the company selling it told me that it can charge 2500 mah batteries.

The charger seemed to work as Steve said it would - it seemed to fully charge without getting hot.

HOWEVER, the batteries died in my camera after only 7 days of very, very light use. When I use my $10 energizer timer charger, the same batteries typically will last about 4-6 weeks of moderate to signficiant use. With the energizer charger I got about 700 pictures, with this charger I got about 50 pictures.

I will give it another try but it seems that either the charger I got is defective, or the charger really cannot handle 2500 mah batteries.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:50 AM   #6

Just an update.

The FC-501 charger I got clearly is defective. I fully charged my backup batteries and removed them from the charger. 2 days later when I went to use the charged batteries, they were already completely dead. I put the same batteries into my 8 hour timer charger and the batteries survived another 700 pictures.

I am returning the charger...not sure if I will replace it or just stick with what I have...

Juggernaut