Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:13 AM   #11

Fully conditioned means they have had many full charge-discharge-charge cycles to reach maximum power.

Don't worry about the low number of shots on the Sony battery, I still use them as backup and after a few cycles they reach maximum power.

Typically when I get new batteries I just use them for a couple of weeks in a portable cd player to run them down and then charge back up at night, however I also have a LaCrosse BC-900 charger that can automate that process, charging - discharging - then charging again , repeating until they reach maximum.

Its also a useful charger since not only can it charge single batteries, it can display the amount of power the battery has received, you can then sort through old batteries matching power and disposing of those that fail to take a full charge.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:38 AM   #12

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Fully conditioned means they have had many full charge-discharge-charge cycles to reach maximum power.

Don't worry about the low number of shots on the Sony battery, I still use them as backup and after a few cycles they reach maximum power.

Typically when I get new batteries I just use them for a couple of weeks in a portable cd player to run them down and then charge back up at night, however I also have a LaCrosse BC-900 charger that can automate that process, charging - discharging - then charging again , repeating until they reach maximum.

Its also a useful charger since not only can it charge single batteries, it can display the amount of power the battery has received, you can then sort through old batteries matching power and disposing of those that fail to take a full charge.
Hello Sintares,

Ok. Gotcha about what you meant by "fully conditioned".

I have heard good thing about the LaCrosse charger. But I'm thinking of getting the Maha 401 along with 8 Powerex 2700 mAh batteries soon as I am planning a trip for early November. I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong/China for a few weeks. Lots of good times and photo opportunities. So I'll need some good batteries.

Oh, and I'm assuming the Maha 401 charger will be able to do the same thing. But that is a great tip...popping the batteries in a CD player to help work them in...never thought of it.

Have you used any other types of batteries besides the Vapex 2700 mAh? Have you tried either Sanyo or Powerex?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:57 PM   #13

With me, battery life is like "How many licks to get the the center of a Tootsie Pop" because I don't wait to find out. I use 2300+ mAh batteries, and swap them out every week. I had my batteries go flat with the camera left on once, and the camera reset everything to defaults. Anything with a microprocessor can do that (and has!) so I run all my tests in analyzers.
Old Comedywriter is offline   Reply With Quote