Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Thought, I would take this opportunity to start a poll. To see roughly how many shots per charge certain camera owners get. I'd love to hear from owners of Sony's DSC-H1, Canon 30D, Canon 5D, Nikon D80/D200/D2X/D2Xs....please note if you're using a "battery grip" (with 2 proprietary batteries).

Under lab conditions Nikon claims you can get 5000 shots with the battery grip (2 batteries) with a D80. Curious to see what the real world numbers are.

Some one with a Nikon D200/battery grip said he got a little over 2000 per charge...

Thanks guys!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:57 PM   #2

Um, well I suppose it would depend on whether you are constantly zooming in and out , checking focus etc , but with the H1, lcd constantly on.

Using the burst mode again and again at the full 5mp I took 742 pictures, battery indicator full.

I placed the camera in slide show mode, showing a new pic every 3 secs and left it running for 30mins , again using the 2.5in lcd.

I then took an 11 minute movie (640 fine) , still full, then watched it back on the lcd.

I then took 120 individual pics again at the full 5mp with fill flash in a room lit by a single 100w bulb, all windows and blinds closed to darken the room, distance to target approx 8 ft.

Indicator has finally dropped to half full.

The batteries I am using are cheap Vapex 2700mAh batteries from ebay.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:07 PM   #3

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Um, well I suppose it would depend on whether you are constantly zooming in and out , checking focus etc , but with the H1, lcd constantly on.

Using the burst mode again and again at the full 5mp I took 742 pictures, battery indicator full.

The batteries I am using are cheap Vapex 2700mAh batteries from ebay.

Hello Sintares,

You got 742 shots in one charge???!!! "...I took 742 pictures, battery indicator full"? Could you please expand on that?

Getting 120 shots after using flash under said conditions souinds more reasonable with your H1 using 2700 mAh batteries. I'm assuming the batteries are are "full-capacity"?

Any how, thanks for posting Sintaries!

If DSLR owners of the forementioned models would chime in please.... I think we're all curious. And, again, I'm taking a poll to find out approximately how many shots you got per charge (e.g. from fully charging the batteries till the batteries or battery pack fully drained...realizing with Lithium-ions you can charge them at any time) under real world conditions. If you're a Sony DSC-H1 owner plase also mention what type of NiMH batteries you used.

Thanks people! Have a great weekend!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:50 PM   #4

Batteries fully charged and fully conditioned.

Battery indicator full when camera switched on.

After taking 742 shots the battery indicator still showed full..

Then 30 mins of slide show, still showing full.

Then took 11min movie and watched it back, still showing full.

Then 120 shots with flash ( and about 20 used the red eye preflash as well, first time I had bothered using the red eye flash and probably the last, my sister and her daughter did not like it at all !)

Only after taking all these shots did the camera finally change from a full charge indicator.

Considering the 2.5 in screen was switched on the entire time I am quite surprised at the batteries stamina.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:05 PM   #5

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Batteries fully charged and fully conditioned.

Battery indicator full when camera switched on.

After taking 742 shots the battery indicator still showed full..

Then 30 mins of slide show, still showing full.

Then took 11min movie and watched it back, still showing full.

Then 120 shots with flash ( and about 20 used the red eye preflash as well, first time I had bothered using the red eye flash and probably the last, my sister and her daughter did not like it at all ! )

Only after taking all these shots did the camera finally change from a full charge indicator.

Considering the 2.5 in screen was switched on the entire time I am quite surprised at the batteries stamina.

WOW!! I am definitely impressed. 742 shots followed by 30 minutes of slide show, then 120 shots with flash? From a pair of 2700 mAh NiMH AA's?? That's better than some DSLRs under certain conditions. Sheeeesh!!! For a total of 862 shots using your "cheap Vapex 2700 mAh" batteries. I didn't know you meant that was during one charge. Seeing the HUGE 742 number totally threw me off. Especially being as I only got 118 shots off my first charge (wonder how many shots I'll get after 4 more cycles when my Sony 2100 mAh are "full-capacity"...hmmm...). I guess it's time to order some 2700 mAh batteries (either Powerex of Sanyo).

Thanks Sintaries!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:37 AM   #6

I stopped counting at 800 shots on my Pentax K100D on new Energizer 2500mAh batteries on their first charge. The camera was switched on continuously for 8.5 hrs during this, with an image displayed for about 3 hrs of this time. Only about 20-30 flash shots though. There was still plenty of life left in them when I put them back in the charger, they measured 1.27v unloaded, 1.24v with 650mA load on them, and took 1.5hrs to reach end of charge at 1.0A charge rate.

I just wanted to know if 1 set of freshly charged batteries would be likely to get me through a day. The answer is definitely yes, even without using power saving modes.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:37 AM   #7

I stopped counting at 800 shots on my Pentax K100D on new Energizer 2500mAh batteries on their first charge. The camera was switched on continuously for 8.5 hrs during this, with an image displayed for about 3 hrs of this time. Only about 20-30 flash shots though. There was still plenty of life left in them when I put them back in the charger, they measured 1.27v unloaded, 1.24v with 650mA load on them, and took 1.5hrs to reach end of charge at 1.0A charge rate.

I just wanted to know if 1 set of freshly charged batteries would be likely to get me through a day. The answer is definitely yes, even without using power saving modes.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:38 AM   #8

Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:00 AM   #9

Sorry about the triple post, just as I was about to post, the site went dead and nothing happened. I guess I clicked a couple of times extra before giving up. 10 minutes later there's 3 posts here. Oh well. Perhaps they can be deleted by a techie at Steve's?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:33 AM   #10

SteveB wrote:
Quote:

Hello SteveB,

Congrats on the new K100D! And though I didn't ask for Pentax owners...thanks anyways. I'm sure people considering the K100D would love to know about the K100D's great battery life on 4 2500 mAh NiHM batteries...and on it's first charge.

Seems my Sony DSC-H1 is more of a power junkie. Giving me only 118 shots from the first charge from a pair of Sony 2100 mAh AA batteries. At least I know what I should expect with a pair of 2700 mAh batteries. Wonder if Sintares' batteries were at "full capacity"...by "....fully conditioned" mean "full capacity"? Shrug...

Btw...have you posted on http://www.pbase.com? And can I ask how long you've been shooting photos?

Please keep the post coming guys!!