Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:39 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am looking for any online references having reviews (shootouts) of battery chargers.
A site that takes all available chargers and puts them to a test.

Something similar to this ... but more *recent*:
http://www.crypto.com/chargers/

(I recently got an expensive Ansman charger and ... although I can't put my finger on it ... I have this feeling that my old cheap Enrgizer charger was doing a better job).

Does anyone know of any such comparison reviews ?

Regards,
Argax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:07 AM   #2
blr

Hi Argax,

welcome to the forums.

I have used many of the chargers usually discussed. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to compile a good review page. If you give us a bit more info on the chargers in question (the old and the new), why do you think the old one was doing a better job and what cells are you charging perhaps we could help
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
I have used many of the chargers usually discussed. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to compile a good review page. If you give us a bit more info on the chargers in question (the old and the new) , why do you think the old one was doing a better job and what cells are you charging perhaps we could help
Hi blr,

Thank you for the response.

I used to have a cheap energizer charger (one of those 15 minute rapid chargers) and was using 2200mah batteries on it for my camera.

However, ever since I got this Ansman energy8, the batteries do not seem to hold their charge as long. Specifically I remember during periods of inactivity (where the camera was not in use) the batteries would hold for a few weeks. Now they seem to loose their charge faster.

... but I probably need to set up a reliable way to test this ... I don't want to rely on "feeling" alone.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:33 PM   #4

Hello Argax,

Here is the results of a few that I have tested...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=70935

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 8:11 AM   #5
blr

Hello Argax,

How old are these cells? Perhaps the elevated self-discharge you mentioned is not connected to the new charger.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Hello Argax, Here is the results of a few that I have tested... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=70935

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you for this link. I will definately take a look.

Best,
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello Argax, How old are these cells? Perhaps the elevated self-discharge you mentioned is not connected to the new charger.
Hi blr,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, I thought of that. The problem here is that the change was felt immediately after switching chargers (I guess I have to verify more thoroughly).

Also, another thing that I am beginning to realise is that the Ansmann charger may have a defective trickle-charge function. In other words, if I leave the bateries on the charger ... and the charge completes (the light turns green) ... then at that point the batteries will start discharging day-by-day even though they are left ON the charger ... the trickle-charge function is not kicking in at all.

So, now every time before using the newly charged batteries, I have to take them off and re-insert them to the charger; to top off for another 1,2 hours before they are ready for use.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:46 AM   #8

Hello Argax,

Here a photo of my current/actual in use 100% reliable charger, more or less universal/adaptable...as I still have 4 sets of NiCD ones...& for so I check over for the most reliable charger that can handle both type batteries NiCD & such newer NiMH ones.

Extremely recommended/suggested

Made by "Maha":!:

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:12 PM   #9

Hello Alex,

Yes ! ... from what I am reading so far (from reviews and other comments) it seems the Maha are the best ones.

I have been flirting with this one:

The only thing is that the Ansmann was quite versatile ... it could do 9V as well and I have a few of those in a couple of clocks around the house (I think the answering machine has one too). I also a few D on a couple of flash lights ... and a couple of C in some kids toys.

I couldn't find a Maha that can do all in one... well except this one:

Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10

Dear Argax,

I don't need a "Universal" type charger...as I only use AA & one of my kids use AAA, so my Maha charger can take both

Regarding which "Universal" charger is the best...sorry I can't be helpful

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote