Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:07 PM   #1

I haven't seen this discussd in any forum, but it is directly related to "everything" we look for in a great battery charger/bat combination.
If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't need battery chargers, unless we didn't care about the inviroment, which unfornately is a major problem with batteries!!

Boiling it down:
The charger information is great on this site, but no standard application is ever discussed in it's revelancy to the chargers/cost application.
What I am trying to say, is how long will it take to charge a set (4) NIMH batteries from dead to full in a safe maner in the various charger models and at what cost for the recharge ?
This "should" be acompanied by cost to recharge the batteries in some average power company cost.
I hope I got the message across, if not, I'll try again!
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:28 PM   #2

Well. with some very educated information and reviews I made my decision on battery chargers from this web site, one hell of a lot of reading!
I chose the AccuManager 20 !
I was seriously considering the La Crosse BC-900 , especially when it offered so many extras but not quite as versatile in the type/style of batteries it would handle!
The one thing that really turned me off was when I started reading about "Meltdown" problems with the BC-900!!
Dudes, I want a battery charger, not something that would 'VOID" my homeowners insurance in case of a problem with a charger with a background of problems in meltdown! I realize that there are a lot of you guys who love this charger, I'm just not one wishing to take the documented chances regardless of how well you view it.
I hope you understand!
Changeling

Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:34 PM   #3

Hmmm

Well my sanyo chargerstates 14 watt input

1 kWh = 1000 watts for one hour

1000 watts / 14 watts = 71.5 hours of charging to use one kWh of electricity

at about 2 hours for a charge, that's about 35 charges for 12 cents

My rec, replace your incandescent bulbs with compact flourescent and get rid of the halogens, they are only 2% more efficient than incandescent.

Steve
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

Colasteve, thanks for the reply and info, I wouldn't want everyone to think I am a cheapskate, but why give it to the power company if you don't have to !

Changeling

Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

I did this maths a few months ago.

Using a Maha 401FS to charge 4x2500mAh AA batteries will cost just under $0.01 in Australian dollars. At the time of writing this A$1=US0.75, so to charge the batteries once a week for a year would cost you about 37 cents!

Full calculations here http://servaas.com.au/blog/what-does...rge-batteries/
servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote