Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:21 PM   #1

Ive asked before , but gona try again this really bugs me as i tend to collect /keep many different cameras for ever ,, Ok ive got cameras with lion batteries panasonic, olympus fuji . and sony , Okthe batteries (lions in these cams) might i understand last up to 4 years if i use them or not , They still wear out if used or not it has been said , This means in say aprox 4 years give or take, i will want anouther set of fresh lions , for these cameras , yes i want to keep them up to 10 or 15 or more years , And so firstly willthe batteries still be available , for the models i have , next will they be( if available) fresh as mentioned i understand theygo bad used or no ,so how do we know the ones we buy in four years are fresh and not 3 years oldor more and nearly useless , Idont think they are date stamped, Any one else have thoughts or information on these lions please advise or is it that if cameras are to be needed to use in future years to come they need to be the AA type models ,thankyou . :?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:41 PM   #2

Hello Rodo,

All we can do is speculate on an answer. Perhaps you should ask the camera manufactures what they expect for a life span of the camera and how long they will support it with repairs and parts.

I would expect proprietary batteries would be harder to find than common ones. The problem is that it is not known which Li-Ion pack is selling the best. If you could figure out which battery manufacturer is supplying the cells, you may be able to get an answer from them.

The good thing is that Li-Ion cells don't just stop working after 3-5 years. They just loose capacity. You may get to the point where you will have to recharge after every 10 shots, but the camera should still work.

Not much help... sorry.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:07 AM   #3

SilverFoxCPF I wondered if any one has a camera that uses lions might be able to advise , Maybe has an old camera and if batteries are still available for it? , I woner what are the oldest cameras that first used lion batteries ? any one know that ?
Quote:
Hello Rodo,

All we can do is speculate on an answer. Perhaps you should ask the camera manufactures what they expect for a life span of the camera and how long they will support it with repairs and parts.

I would expect proprietary batteries would be harder to find than common ones. The problem is that it is not known which Li-Ion pack is selling the best. If you could figure out which battery manufacturer is supplying the cells, you may be able to get an answer from them.

The good thing is that Li-Ion cells don't just stop working after 3-5 years. They just loose capacity. You may get to the point where you will have to recharge after every 10 shots, but the camera should still work.

Not much help... sorry.

Tom
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:00 AM   #4
blr

Hi rodo.

Never had a camera for that long, but have an experience with walkmen and cell phones. It is known that LiIon packs start to age from the date of production due to oxidation of the Li active material. Tipically a pack will be good for 2-3 years used or not. The rate of oxidation depends on how good the Li electrode is sealed. Better packs with tight seal will last longer. In my experience a typicall LiIon pack will last no more than 2 years after purchase. The bad thing is that very few packs are marked with date of production. Thus, one doesn't know how old the pack really is. You may be buying a pack that has been stored for ovar a year.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5

I just bought a replacement LiIon battery for a Sony DV camcorder I originally purchased in the late 90's. My old battery was still functioning after all those years, but slowly it's capacity was diminishing.

What I just bought was an original Sony replacement battery, but I also see many third party replacements available too.

Frankly I think the worry about a particular battery being available in the future a tad overblown. Many cameras after 5 years or so are pretty much outdated technology so a replacement camera may be the better choice. But to maximize the availability of a particular LiIon pack into the future, I would stick with the major players (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:26 AM   #6

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a replacement LiIon battery for a Sony DV camcorder I originally purchased in the late 90's. My old battery was still functioning after all those years, but slowly it's capacity was diminishing.

What I just bought was an original Sony replacement battery, but I also see many third party replacements available too.

Frankly I think the worry about a particular battery being available in the future a tad overblown. Many cameras after 5 years or so are pretty much outdated technology so a replacement camera may be the better choice. But to maximize the availability of a particular LiIon pack into the future, I would stick with the major players (Canon, Nikon, SonyY
Yes i see some sony batteries from camcorders fit my new R1, so they should be available for a time because of the large amount of cameras and camcoders sold one might presume, But that might mean there are old lions sitting on shelves up to 4 + years old useless waiting to be sold even sony originalones ,This bugs me , like i just bought an olympus battery for my oly c70 brand new but useless as it only lasts up to 20 shots before it needs recharging , this battery fits many older and even todays oly 800/810 cameras but the olympus battery ive just purchased must be old and on the dealers shelf this fits olympus camerasfrom 1991 so could be 5 years old but new and yet useless ,, no refund says the online dealer because the battery does charge,( but wont hold it ), and no date stamp on the battery we all know why because they have a short shelf life for the dealer he wants to shift it old or fresh , he is gona sell the old first , answer shift to aa batteries camera models or change the camera every 3 years not good imo .Could be a reason to return the R1 sad and buy a pentax DSLR uses AA batteries, ? worlds 2nd worst speller sorry.