Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:16 PM   #11
NHL

I have several cells that have the heat shrink coverings peeling off at the top or bottom crease; other than that none of my cells have gone bad during the past two years.

Like I said before there's a price to be paid for a quicker charge. The Rayovac is just one of thoses few chargers that can complete a full charge in less than 1-hr... One can of course stay cool by doing a slower charge but then there's plenty of those around! :P

I used to race 1/10 RC cars and theses cells can be charged in 10 minutes or less and get plenty HOT. May be its the poor material of the decorative heat shrink covering on some batteries and not the charger after all? They seems to sell plenty of Rayovac @ both Walmart and Target stores otherwise...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:53 AM   #12

I agree with NHL. I've used mine heavily for about two years. NO bad cells yet. I doubt I will have a problem. Rayovac is a huge company and I doubt they would risk their reputation without doing some resaerch before marketing this charger. I would be more suspicious of MAHA who sells chargers with covers that can't be closed when charging. Why do they have a cover in the first place? Sounds like poor product design to put a potential safety hazard into their chargers.

I also doubt padeye has ever owned a Rayovac charger. If they are so bad why did you buy two?
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:16 AM   #13

This is off the Rayovac FAQ:

Q: The batteries get hot during charging. Is this okay?
A: Yes. The batteries will get hot during charging but will cool quickly after recharging. This is a normal occurrence and no cause for concern. The unit is equipped with a sensor that will shut off the unit if it gets too hot. This built-in safety feature prevents overheating.

I suppose they know what temperature "too hot" is and most likely designed the charger around this. Since they are the largest manufacturer of batteries in the world they probably have done some research.

What do we know about MAHA? They are only available from one source, or maybe two if you search hard. Thomas Distributing coincidentally advertises on sites where their charger gets good reviews. Other than that, never heard of them.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 5:03 AM   #14
NHL

BTW Rayovac also owns Varta of Germany, one of the largest manufacturers of portable batteries in the world (Thomas Distributing is a specialty importer):
http://www.portable.varta.com/eng/un.../portrait.html

Personally I don't doubt Padeye, he's the original person who recommended Rayovac while we owned the D7 which was famous for drawing current, and the the Rayovac seemed to do a better job here than my Maha. It's understandable to worry about heat, and a lot of people would as well...

It's the law of Physic at work here, either you're boiling water or you're simmering, ie more energy in shorter time equals more heat! May be it's the cheap cells, and their coverings, which are at fault here and not the charger. All I can say is the Rayovac has a more beefy (and costlier) power supply, 12V @ 1.5A. Check the rating on your Maha... If people are willing to pay more for less to remain 'cool' then let it be (but don't complain that the charge in the camera doesn't last as long!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jun 24, 2003, 6:09 PM   #15

Check the rating on your Maha... If people are willing to pay more for less to remain 'cool' then let it be (but don't complain that the charge in the camera doesn't last as long!) :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Children, let's not turn this into "mine is better than yours" and start stating things that are not so.
The Rayovac is a good charger, but it does get the batteries way TOO HOT for the liking of some.
I have had the Rayovac 1 hour charger and now the Maha MH-C401FS (newest), along with the 2200 Powerex batteries.
The charge is complete (either way, cool or warm), and the batteries are the BEST I have ever used. I called Rayovac and asked if they were going to come out with a higher than 1800 mah soon and they said they have no plans as of now.
Oh well, as for me, I will stick with the Maha, it is a very good charger and a nice size. As for the cover, common sense and the intructions also, you leave it open when charging.
It also makes a nice extra battery holder in the camera bag protecting the batteries.

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 8:46 PM   #16
NHL

Quote:
The charge is complete (either way, cool or warm)
Ah, but you forgot to mention how long it took to complete thoses 2200mAh! May be it's proportional to the current rating of the power supply of each charger after all. :lol:

Quote:
I called Rayovac and asked if they were going to come out with a higher than 1800 mah soon and they said they have no plans as of now.
Did you ask about their 'I-C3'? We'll find out soon enough wouldn't we... :P
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C1003/

-- Fastest recharging time ever -- 15 minutes or less!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Ah, but you forgot to mention how long it took to complete thoses 2200mAh! May be it's proportional to the current rating of the power supply of each charger after all. :lol:
On the faster charge the 2200's take around 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes.
The slower cool charge (and it is cool) takes between 4 and 5 hours.

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:04 PM   #18
NHL

Well it still takes less than an hour with the 2300mAh on the Rayovac. Kind of make sense doesn't it: 1.5A vs 1A?

It looks like Lenmar is the speed champion though currently with 2A input on their AA Mach 1 charger! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jul 2, 2003, 4:28 AM   #19

Well, believe it or not, I did NOT intend this to become a battery charger battle! Actually, I just wanted to point out to Steve that his review of the Rayovac is (very) out of date.

I assume Steve reads these posts because I have seen replies from him. Does anyone know a better way to get his attention?
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:53 PM   #20

Default Charger choice

Using a Rayovac 1 hour charger right now. I have had it for 1 year now. I use it all the time. I am using it for my NEX IA MP3 player, mini-Maglite, Sony Walkman tape player, wireless Seinheiser headphones, Logitech wireless mouse, keyboard and my Canon A70 Digicam. I absolutely love this thing! Charging takes minutes - not hours. As with most digital devices, NiMH batteries drop below a useful state for a device when a certain level of capacity is gone. Then it takes no great deal of time to recharge them. In fact charge time is closer to 15 minutes for 1850mAh AA Energizers! Now that is screaming fast!

Comparitively, I remember that I still have a 10 year old General Electric NiCD trickle charger and it still works fine! It takes overnight to charge my NiMH's though. If taken care of properly chargers last a LONG time. If I had to do it over I would take the Rayovac again anyday. I would have to skip on the Maha as it takes 100 minutes versus my Rayovac Quick charger which is only 15-30 minutes. The Maha is just too slow for my needs. I need FAST FAST FAST! Not to cut down Maha at all but honestly Maha's build quality and craftsmanship has me a little uneasy (whats with the lid thingy?). The Rayovac looks much better IMHO. :P

Rayovac practically holds the patents for PROPER and SAFE quick charging. I guarantee the proper research has gone into this charger. As for charging, quick charging doesn't reduce the batteries life anymore than regular charging does. I don't know where other companies are getting this info from? Top scientists have tested NiMH batteries all the way up to 5000 charges regardless if it is quick charged or not! Usually though getting 1000 charges/cycles is a more realistic approach. Because after 1000 charges/cycles the NiMH batteries loose roughly 20% of their capacity. So a new 1850mAh NiMH AA battery for example (if charged once a day) will be down to 1480mAh capacity after 3 years useage of everyday charging. No big woop.

Here is a typical discharge lifecycle for a NiMH battery.

I highly recommend the Rayovac. It's better IMHO... Price, Speed, Quality...etc. I am confident I made the best decision by far. :P

This charger now includes a 12VDC car adapter (not in pic). Pick it up now!
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote