Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:55 PM   #21

Default rayovac

The review here at Steve's Digicams referred to a max capability of 1600 mAh. Is that still the case? Will it fully charge 1700 or higher batteries? I'm torn between the MaHa "cool" charger and the Rayovac 1 hour charger. It's about $10 less, but I'm not sure which is better in the long run.
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:09 PM   #22
NHL

I've used the Rayovac extensively on 2100, and now some 2300mAh. The review was dated and only 1600mAh cells were available then... Like the other poster have noted - 1hr is the max when the cells are completely discharged, most of the time it's 30-40 minute or less even.

Also note that NOT all cells are designed to be quick charged... and thoses are the problematic ones with the covering peeling off (and have nothing to do with the charger). Most newer batteries don't do this problem anymore... For example the older Kodak red/yellow 1600mAh cells will pop the top covering, but not their green/yellow 1700mAh cells on fast charges!

BTW the newer Rayovac come in High-Tech silver and not in dark grey color anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 5:29 PM   #23

Default Rayovac 1 hour charger

I just purchased the Rayovac 1 hour charger and I'm a bit confused by one thing. I placed some brand new batteries in the charger, the green lights came on, and then went off about 40 minutes later. I thought that was an indication that they were fully charged. However, when I pulled out a battery for a few seconds and reinserted it, the green light came back on and the charging cycle seemed to begin again, for another half hour or more. Doesn't the charger sense the level of charge of the batteries? If so, then the second time through it should have recognized the charge level and shut down quickly. Can someone explain this process?
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:26 PM   #24
NHL

I believe you just double charge the same battery... The charger detects the end of charge when the slope of the battery voltage reaches zero (NiMh), or by a slight drop in voltage (NiCad) the 1st time around.
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/arpdf/AppNotes/A0910.pdf

When you inset the same battery in it'll try another round until the same zero slope (or slight drop in voltage) is detected again, but the cycle should be somewhat shorter than the 1st time around!

... and shorter still the 3rd time.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote