Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 13, 2003, 5:28 AM   #1

Default Rayovac 1 hour charger review

Since I don't know how to contact Steve directly, I will post a comment here.

I was reading through the reviews and noticed that the Rayovac One hour charger review stated that the only fault was that it did not include the car adapter. I realize that this review was not written by Steve personally, but they now include the car cord. You might want to update the review to include this.

I've had my charger for about two years and feel it is the best available, especially for the $29 walmart price. It has independent charging for each cell unlike the Maha C-204F and is faster and less expensive than the new Maha C-401FS.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:50 AM   #2

Steve?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:36 AM   #3
NHL

I agree with you 100%! (and I have the Maha too) :P :P :P

Whenever I travel the Rayovac is my 1st choice... What people don't understand is putting the same charge in less time will create more heat, and everyone is afraid of this totally ignoring its other speedy benefit, but let's keep the secret to ourself!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 5:18 AM   #4

I think the heat issue (if there is one) is blown out of proportion. I've read (can't remember where unfortunately) that NiMH batteries can withstand core temperatures in the 200 degree celcius range without damage. This would mean you wouldn't be able to touch them unless you have asbestos gloves! I've had my charger for about two years and have several brands of batteries which have now been discharged and charged hundreds of times and have not had any failures or any perceivable performance problems. These chargers have protection for overheating which I'm sure will keep the batteries well within a safe temperature range. Plus I think that if anyone made a charger that worked at 200 degrees core temperature (or even close) they would have problems with liability suits from burnt (literally) customers!
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:23 AM   #5
NHL

Same here I have yet to find a bad cell in my two years of ownership... Although some cheap manufacturers did use poor plastic laminate, and the colorful covering did peel off from the top ends of the metal sleeves, but the cells remain strong... and keep going!

The Rayovac makes perfect sense when you have several sets and can't wait for the long charge cycles of the other ones... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:38 AM   #6

A wealth of information on rechargable batteries can be found here:

http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp

refer to:

http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap4-page5.asp

for NiMH charging.

I'm not sure how case temperature relates to core temperature (thermal impedence), but these folks cite that max temp for batteries with Ni chemistry should be limited to 113 deg. F.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:28 PM   #7

[quote="jbailey"]I think the heat issue (if there is one) is blown out of proportion.

No the "heat issue" is REAL and DETRIMENTAL. I had two different Rayovac 1 hour chargers and cooked the covers off the Rayovac nimh batteries that came with it (and, yes it was set to nimh batteries).
Sure it worked fast, but man did it get those suckers HOT!!!.
I am quite satisfied with the features and portability and included car cord with the Maha MH-C401FS.
I'm glad we have so many choices, for me it is the Maha (like the size of the Lightning Pack 4000N but not its 2 per battery charge only).

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:12 AM   #8

I've had the Rayovac, two of them, for almost two years and I'm ready to replace them. They heat the cells a lot and I do think it's reduced the capacity of a lot of my cells. More than once I've had cells too hot to hold and sometimes even bursting the heat shrink tubing. I'll be getting a MAHA or Lenmar cool charger soon
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:32 PM   #9

Quote:
More than once I've had cells too hot to hold and sometimes even bursting the heat shrink tubing
So does this mean, if you're not careful, the outside insulating layer can break down and short out to adjacent cells when packed in the camera battery bay?

I notice some of the newer, larger capacity cells are getting a bit of a squeeze to get in anyway.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 6:35 PM   #10

I'm less worried about the heat shrink that can be repaired than I am about the damage to the cells that happens when they are overheated.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote