Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

Time for me to make a decision on my next battery charger. The BC-900 is back on the market, so the choice is between it and the C401FS from Maha. Which to choose?

Is the overheating problem of the BC-900 solved, or just forgotten for the moment?

Does the pulse algorith of the C401-FS really eliminate conditioning cycles successfully?

With $50 burning a hole in your pocket, which do you buy?
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

I own both, and use the 401-FS the most. I had one overheating problem with the BC-900, but this was due to the room temp increasing because the AC didn't kick on.

They're 2 different chargers, and I likd all the diaplay features on the BC. But, I like the slow charge rate and pulse charging on the 401. I've not conditioned my batteries since using the 401-FS, and I use the slow charge rate to prolong battery life.

The BC-900 coming to Thomas Dist. on 11/10 is reportedly a new model, so I would assume they're taken "bugs" out of it. Hard to say since its not been on the market long.

My vote at this point in the game: the 401-FS
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3

Hello Docmoon,

You may want to hold off for a short while... rumor has it that Maha is going to be offering a charger similar to the BC-900, but with more features. I believe Thomas Distributing has the press release on this charger, but the information (and price) is a bit sketchy at this time.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up SilverFox, I read about it. I agree, I'd wait and see what that charger has in store.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:47 PM   #5

I followed the link in the other thread and read the write-up. As a consumer with minimal knowledge of the working of electronics, the first thing that I noticed was the absence of the pulse charging feature in the new Maha charger. That prompts me to ask whether it is performing properly, or if Maha really thinks, after all, that periodic use of a conditioning cycle is better for battery capacity and lifespan.

I'd really like to own ONE dynamite charger at the end of the year, but I am confused as to which one it should be.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:46 PM   #6

Hello Docmoon,

I have it on good authority that the new Maha does utilize pulse charging. Now you can have the benefits of both. Pulse charging to get a fuller charge, and a discharge feature to work toward reforming the cell.

This new charger should be out very soon. I would suggest waiting until there are some reviews on it. If it lives up to its specifications, it would be the one to get.

The only problem I can see so far is that it does not do C, D or 9V cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7

Looks like I found that one dynamite charger, then, huh?

Your intel has sure been good so far. Silver foxes may be the slyest, I guess.

Thanks for the excellent advice and help.