Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Long term battery

I am trying to set up an Olympus E-10 in time lapse mode and I don't have AC power available at the location so I can not use an AC Adapter. The camera uses 6.5 V 2A (That is what the AC adapter puts out if I could use it) I am considering using something like a marine battery (12 V) and I wondered if anyone knew of and adapter that would convert the power from the battery to the appropriate power for the camera. I am looking for something that will run the camera for a week at least and then I could switch the 12 volt batteries of maybe use some sort of solar panel to keep it charged.

Thank for any help or suggestions

Joe
jajackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:20 AM   #2

The 'clean' way is to buy a switchmode converter for the volts out you need running 12Vdc in. Look at some of the phone stuff first. Boats run 6v kit off 12 v as well.

Electronically speaking, switching to reduce output is no more than an IC and a few capacitors - easier than boosting.

Your 12volt battery would need to be a whopping 170Ah ( That's about 3 car batteries!) without solar support - so I'd include it!

The 'dirty' way, but nothing like this capacity, is to stick a probe on the plate halfway down the cell stack- if the electrolyte fillers are accessible and not sealed.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The 'clean' way is to buy a switchmode converter for the volts out you need running 12Vdc in. Look at some of the phone stuff first. Boats run 6v kit off 12 v as well.
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The 'dirty' way, but nothing like this capacity, is to stick a probe on the plate halfway down the cell stack- if the electrolyte fillers are accessible and not sealed.
IMO, no way, extremely dangerous.Marine battery use sulfuric acid I think.

You forgot the complicated way:
Use a DC-AC to convert 12VDC to 120 VAC, then use your AC adapter :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:55 PM   #4

IMO, no way, extremely dangerous.Marine battery use sulfuric acid I think.

You forgot the complicated way:
Use a DC-AC to convert 12VDC to 120 VAC, then use your AC adapter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H2SO4 not too dangerous - Dilute, SG1.25!!

Complicated way useless - Conversion inefficiency, He'll need 4 Marine batts instead of 3, and a fork lift to get them there!

Let's think lateral about this. If he's doing time lapse, why doesn't he just set his cam to go to sleep at the minimum time (less than 2 minutes say) Then with whatever control he's using, fire up the cam, take the pic and let it go back to sleep for the next shot. He'd need to be careful to check what settings are saved when going from active to sleep mode and back, and some cams don't just sleep they switch off. My 602 sleeps like a baby after 2 Mins, lcd/EVF off. QED - VOX
Old Jun 18, 2003, 6:23 PM   #5
NHL

KCan should remember this as well, but in the time lapse mode, the D7's also goes to sleep and wakes up right before the shot!... and go back to off again to what ever interval the camera is programmed to. Shouldn't it be the same for the E-10? If this is the case the power consumption should be minimum, and limited only to thoses short moments! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:21 AM   #6

Default Note:added

I am using the Olympus E-10 which does have a timelapse feature and the camera does go to sleep during time between shots so the camera would be only coming on for a minute or so for each shot (every 20 min).
jajackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:28 AM   #7

Ah, well that's looking better. So for a week you'll need about 35Ahrs at 6 Volts. Are you sure it's 2A? I'd have guessed a bit less - say 1.5A?

So the 'dirty trick' could work on a largish 70Ah marine batt (you only use half of it). But I'd seriously look at the 12V-6V switch mode step down converter. The're all out there - also for running portable games boxes and dvd/mp3 players in cars. BUT make sure it's a switcher - the unit will be very small, with a wideish spec on dc input voltage (say 10-16 volt) it might say something about switching frequency on the label (100-300 KHz).

Alternatively, look at the Maxim IC range, just a wee 8pin chip and a couple of capacitors, you'd even fit it in a cigar lighter plug!!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:51 AM   #8
NHL

Check your RadioShack for a car adapter in thoses 6V, 2A output range... but Vox is correct:
http://para.maxim-ic.com/compare.asp...,115900,115901

Rather than buying just an IC, I would order an evaluation board with everything included from Maxim (If you talk your way through they might even send it to you for free...), and work from there since the inductor is usually the difficult part to find... 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
and work from there since the inductor is usually the difficult part to find...
I said it was easy peasey! - Some are switched capacitor for stepdown, possibly needing a higher power mosfet driver.