Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:38 PM   #1

I have a set of 8 Energizer Rechargeable NiMH batteries, rated at 2,500 mAH. I use them in two devices mainly, a wireless mouse for the PC and my digital camera.
Lately I have noticed that in the mouse the batteries are drained after about five days. Is this normal? Seems awfully quick to need a recharge.
And I have also noticed that the batteries, fully charged and stored at room temp, they are completely drained after about a week.
If it matters, the charger I use is a Powerex MH-C204W. And the batteries were all purchased about 8 months ago.
Thank you.

Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:42 PM   #2

Some of the recent higher rated Ni-MH batteries (2500 & 2700) seem to self disharge more quickly than other Ni-MH batteries. This maybe the cause.

I use NiCd, RAM or eneloop for mice.
TheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:43 AM   #3
blr

Hi Carbo.

Unfortunately this is a common problem with Energizer (made by Sanyo BTW) 2500 mAh cells. There is nothing you can do, but replacing them. The new Sanyo Eneloop cells from Sanyo seem like the best option.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:48 AM   #4

blr wrote:
Quote:
Hi Carbo.

Unfortunately this is a common problem with Energizer (made by Sanyo BTW) 2500 mAh cells. There is nothing you can do, but replacing them. The new Sanyo Eneloop cells from Sanyo seem like the best option.

So this is a known issue with these particular make and model batteries? Just my luck, I suppose.

I'll do some shopping around and see what other NiMH batteries might better suit my needs, including those you mentioned. Thanks.

BTW, what's your take on disposable lithium batteries? I'm hearing they hold their charge for an extraordinarily long period of time. I was thinking ofbuying someas a backupfor when I quickly need my digital camera and my rechargeables are drained.

Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:58 PM   #5

See my post in the Eneloop thread. I would strongly recommend that you get a set of the Eneloop batteries and try them out. I'm tossing all of my other Nimh batteries because they self-discharge within a week or two and are useless for me. The Eneloops really hold their charge. I'll take 85% of 2100 mAh after 6 months over 0% of 2700 mAh after 4 weeks any day of the week!
dperreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6

I'm currently using Sanyo 2500's (2) in my wireless mouse (heavy usage), and they last at least 3 weeks before I get a low battery warning on my computer. Then I replace them with two others that I charged at the same time as the first two, and they're still good and ready to go. If you're getting dead batteries after only a week, you either have defective batteries, or you're not charging them properly, or have a crappy charger.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote