Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1

When I bought my first digital camera about 6 years ago I got a Panasonic NIMH charger with a bunch of Panasonic batteries. The 5 hour charger worked great and still does today, and so do the batteries. However, I can't find Panasonic NIMH batteries anymore and on the back of the charger it says to only use Panasonic NIMH batteries.

Is it likely that using this charger on non-Panasonic batteries could damage either the batteries or the charger? The batteries that came with the charger were 1600 mAH. Is it possible the charger can't handle 2600 mAH batteries? I don't really know much about how these things work and didn't want to take any chances, but I'd also like to avoid having to buy a new charger if this one should be fine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Administrator

You can use any brand NiMH cells in that charger. The newer, high capacity batteries will just take longer to charge is all. It is certainly not uncommon to see a manufacturer state to use only their brand batteries, this is only good business sense and also helps avoid a lawsuit if the charger starts a fire with some other brand batteries in it. I would say that it might be a good idea to buy both a new charger and batteries as the charger technology has made a lot of advances in the last six years. See our NiMH Battery and Charger page for the most recent offerings.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:43 PM   #3

Thanks!

I think for the time being I can make do with this charger if it will do the job. Perhaps when I plan on going on a long trip I'll look at some of the chargers that come with a car adaptor, or one of the universal ones.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:14 PM   #4

Nearly all 5hr chargers are timer based and won't be any good with your high capacity batteries as they'll still only get 5hrs at the 1600/5 rate. They'll end up 2/3 charged.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:11 PM   #5

Timer based? Where did you hear that? I would have assumed that it stops based on the same mechanism that makes it stop after 2 1/2 hours when I put in half drained batteries.

If it is timer based, does that mean I could pop them out and put them back in and it would resume?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:52 PM   #6

Hello Corpsy,

That is correct.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:54 PM   #7
blr

Corpsy,

Tom is most probably correct. Give us the model of the charger and we'll try to find out more.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote