Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1

What's yourrecommendations?

Thank you.
Shatsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 4:27 PM   #2

I just went to [email protected] (Thomas Distributing) and ordered
a special that includes the MAHA 401GT charger and 4 2700mah AA,s, carring case and battery holder for $36.75 delivered. This combo is very highly rated. Also picked up a 1GB Sandisk for $14.99 and a 2GB Sandisk for $24.99 at Office Max, Fri and Sat only.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3
blr

I will restrict myself of recommending a brand/model, but look for the following:]

1. The charger should have 4 separate charging slots, prefferably with 4 independent charging indicators.

2. It should charge your cells in no more than 2-2.5 hours, without overcharging. This is the toughest part. Most manufactureres claim that no overcharging is possible with their chargers, while in fact, most of their products do.

3. A discharge function is highly recommended

4. If you plan to travel with it, international voltage and car charging are a must.

Now to the cells. Untill recentlymany of us tought that Sanyo 2500 mAh cells were the king of NiMH. However,it was discovered that, these cells suffer from a high self-discharge after a few months of use. Right nowe, I'd recommend Sanyo Eneloop, or Sanyo 2100 mAh cells.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:31 PM   #4

blr wrote:
Quote:
I will restrict myself of recommending a brand/model, but look for the following:]

1. The charger should have 4 separate charging slots, prefferably with 4 independent charging indicators.

2. It should charge your cells in no more than 2-2.5 hours, without overcharging. This is the toughest part. Most manufactureres claim that no overcharging is possible with their chargers, while in fact, most of their products do.

3. A discharge function is highly recommended

4. If you plan to travel with it, international voltage and car charging are a must.

Now to the cells. Untill recentlymany of us tought that Sanyo 2500 mAh cells were the king of NiMH. However,it was discovered that, these cells suffer from a high self-discharge after a few months of use. Right nowe, I'd recommend Sanyo Eneloop, or Sanyo 2100 mAh cells.
Thank you. If you don't mind me asking.... why do you need a discharge function?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

Hello Shatsi,

Nickel based cells (both NiCd and NiMh) perform better if they occasionally receive a full discharge. Most electronic devices give a low battery signal before the cells are completely drained.

A general recommendation is to do a complete discharge/charge cycle about every 25 normal use cycles. This keeps your cells at their best performance.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:38 AM   #6

Thank you. I get it now. I'm new to all this.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:00 PM   #7

After searching I've realized Maha C401FS seem to be liked by most but it doesn't seem to have a discharge function. Is there a retailer that specialize in batteries etc.?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8

Hello Shatsi,

You may want to browse

www.thomasdistributing.com

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote