Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

i purchased this charger at wallmart for about $27 and it works great with the batteries it came with;energizer AA 2200ma, it also worked great with a pair or rayovac 1800mah thai i previously had.

I tried using cheap brand Ultralast pack of 42300mah AA and Ultralast pack of 4 800mah AAA nimh from microcenter, the 4AAA charged once , on the second charge, they got very hot and began to leak black goo. i was able to charge the AA's 2 times but on the last try the batteries began to expand , you could actually hear the casing stretching and making an ugly creaking noise and began to leak clear fluid. has anyone had similar with this charger and non energizer brand batteries, i am specially interested in AAA since i use them with my kamaleon remote.
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:22 PM   #2

Hello VitaminC,

The 15 minute chargers represent the leading edge of charging technology. I have charged over15 different brands of quality batteries without problems on the Energizer 15 minute charger. I have not tried the UltraLast brand...

To borrow from a hot rod analogy...

High speed rated tires are a lot more expensive than the cheapest bargain brands. When you are traveling down the road at 120 miles per hour, would you feel comfortable trusting the bargain brand tires?

15 minute charging involves charging at around 7.5 amps. This is very demanding of the cells, and any that are substandard will have problems. The Energizer charger will usually reject cells that have developed higher internal resistance, so your cells must have not been properly sealed. This would allow them to be charged on the 15 minute charger and leak.

You are fortunate that they did not leak inside your camera.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3

the cheap batteries no being properly sealed makes good sence.

i like to try batteries prior to puting them in the camera by runing them troug a portable tv for a few cycles. i agree that the best idea would be to use high qualitie batteries on this charger, i have just tried duracell nimh 2650mah and they charged perfectly and did not get too hot.
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:08 PM   #4

I had similar leakage when using cheapo AA's with an Energizer 1 hour charger.

My solution will be to use known name brand ones.

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote