Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:05 PM   #11

Carbo,

With your limited/infrequent camera use, you might want to consider lithium AA's. They are about the same price as rechargeable Ni-MH cells, but they have a VERY LONG shelf life. You won't need to even think about recharging them, because their shelf life is so long. With your infrequent usage, you could possibly get a set to last you many months or even years. I have a wireless temperature transmitter outside my house. I put lithium AA's in it, because alkalines freeze at -4F, and the lithiums are good down to -50F or so. I put these lithiums in two and a half years ago, and they are still going strong, throught the heat of summer and the subzero chills of winter. In my indoor receiver, I have regular alkalines, and I have to change them every eight months or so, even though they are not exposed to temperature extremes.

Lots of people keep a set of lithiums in the camera bag as a backup to their rechargeables, just in case their rechargeables die (as they always seem to do) at the most unopportune moment. Just a suggestion as to another way you may try to solve your problem. Good luck.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:19 PM   #12

That wouldn't happen to be an Oregon Scientific wireless temperature sensor, would it?
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:49 PM   #13

No, actually, it's a GE brand. I did buy an Oregon Scientific unit, but I returned it because the spec sheet said it was only good to -4F. That was before I found out that lithiums are good to below -50F, and that the -4F figure referred only to alkalines. Once I found out that I lithiums are good to a much lower temperature, I tried a few other models, but these took AAA's in the remote transmitter, and at the time I could only find lithium AA's. This General Electric model has worked great for me, but it is a few years old now, and I'm sure that there are many newer models out there now with more bells and whistles.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Administrator

propwash wrote:
Quote:
That was before I found out that lithiums are good to below -50F, and that the -4F figure referred only to alkalines.
You guys are making me appreciate living in the Southern U.S. more with these concerns about the impact of cold weather on batteries. :-)

Here are the current conditions from a local Airfield in Savannah, GA

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote