Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:45 AM   #1

I'm in the market for an 8 pack of rechargeable AA's. I'm leaning towards the Powerex 2700, over at Thomas Distributing.

Anyone have any experience with these in particular, or with Powerex overall?
Would you recommend another brand? Use will be primarily in digital cameras and a wireless mouse. Thank you.
Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:47 AM   #2
blr

Carbo wrote:
Quote:
I'm in the market for an 8 pack of rechargeable AA's. I'm leaning towards the Powerex 2700, over at Thomas Distributing.

Anyone have any experience with these in particular, or with Powerex overall?
Would you recommend another brand? Use will be primarily in digital cameras and a wireless mouse. Thank you.
The common opinion is that the newer, high capacity cells with capacity above 2000 mAh are not quite as robust as the older lower capacity ones. In particular, there have been countless reports on Sanyo 2500 and 2700 mAh cells suffering from high self-discharge after only a couple of months use. I also had one such cell fail on me.

You may want to check the new Sanyo Eneloop. They are rated at only 2000 mAh, but show much lower self-discharge than ordinary NiMH cells. Several people have tested these cells, and report that hey retain more than 90% of their charge after 3 months of storage at room temperature. For comparison, ordinary NiMH cells will lose almost all of their charge for that time.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:11 AM   #3

Hi, blr. Yeah, I have been reading up on these things, and I see those new Eneloops claiming very extended shelf life. In fact, someone here in another thread linked to an online store that had them for $9.99 for four, with free delivery. Tough deal to beat, so I ordered 8 this morning, as a matter of fact. I figured that would keep me covered when I quickly need some batteries and don't have the time to charge 'em.

I have experienced a big problem with my present AA's, Energizer 2500's. They discharge completely in about a week. Clearly something is wrong, so that's why I am in the market for a new charger and cells. So now I'm just doing my homework to see what will work best for my needs. As I said, I need a pair for constant use in a wireless mouse, and the others for occasional use in a Canon S2 IS camera. The camera receives little use, and what happens is when I do want to grab it for thatquick shot, the batteries, having been fully charged, say, five or six days ago and stored at room temp, are again completely discharged. Frustrating, to say the least.

So, the Eneloops, if they live up to the hype, just may be the answer for my usage pattern. Buthow well will they hold up under the high demands of a digital camera? That's a concern for me. And why I was considering the highratings of those new Powerex 2700's.

Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:53 AM   #4

I've been using Uniross 2100 mAh & 2300 mAh which hold their charge for ages & allow in excess of 500 shots on a Pentax *isDS - having read about potential discharge problems with higher capacity perhaps bigger isn't always better.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

By the way, regarding the Eneloop batteries, I assume they are chargeable on all standard chargers? Looks like I'll bepurchasing the new Maha MH-C9000, and it would be just my luck to find the two aren't compatible. :sad:
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
The common opinion is that the newer, high capacity cells with capacity above 2000 mAh are not quite as robust as the older lower capacity ones. In particular, there have been countless reports on Sanyo 2500 and 2700 mAh cells suffering from high self-discharge after only a couple of months use. I also had one such cell fail on me.

You may want to check the new Sanyo Eneloop. They are rated at only 2000 mAh, but show much lower self-discharge than ordinary NiMH cells. Several people have tested these cells, and report that hey retain more than 90% of their charge after 3 months of storage at room temperature. For comparison, ordinary NiMH cells will lose almost all of their charge for that time.
So what? They're $3 apiece. They're not going to last forever. I'll take the extra power every time. I can buy four sets every year for less than the cost of a single propietary camera battery. Besides, I've been using the Powerex 2700's and my experience has been that they're great batteries.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:32 PM   #7

Bill, it isn't the cost that concerns me here. It's the fact that with my usage patterns, the higher rated batteries I have are discharging at an alarmingly fast rate. In only a week of storage all my cells are dead. Meaning grabbing my camera for that "great shot" is only a dream, because I need to recharge my batteries. . .again.

So, if the Eneloops are what they claim to be, having them at the ready, even after a month or more of being ignored, it's well worth the few extra dollars for me.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:03 PM   #8

I think you'll be very happy with the Eneloops. I bought a set 6 weeks ago, charged them (they were probably at 80% when I got them, but it's always a good idea) and plopped them in my Pentax *ist DS. Took around 200 pics over the next 5 weeks, then popped them in my LaCross charger and topped them off in a half hour at 1000 mA/h -- meaning that they were still at 75% plus! My Energizers would have been toast after 2 weeks!

If you always use freshly charged cells (e.g. you shoot every day, or every week), then get the high-capacity batteries. If you are like me and you want to grab your camera to take to the swim meet or school play without worrying about putting in a fresh set of batteries, then get the Eneloops.
dperreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:11 AM   #9

Carbo wrote:
Quote:
Bill, it isn't the cost that concerns me here. It's the fact that with my usage patterns, the higher rated batteries I have are discharging at an alarmingly fast rate. In only a week of storage all my cells are dead. Meaning grabbing my camera for that "great shot" is only a dream, because I need to recharge my batteries. . .again.

So, if the Eneloops are what they claim to be, having them at the ready, even after a month or more of being ignored, it's well worth the few extra dollars for me.
This is exactly why I just swapped the Sanyo 2700 mAh cells with Eneloops in my PowerShot A620. While the Sanyo's pack more power, the eneloop's slow self-discharge rate is what led me to make the switch. If I'm going to be doing alot of shooting in a one or 2 day period, I'll use the Sanyos.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:10 AM   #10

Carbo wrote:
Quote:
Well, that makes sense in your case then. Personally, I change my batteries every day that I'm actively using the camera and I always have batteries on slow charge.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote