Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:18 AM   #11

I got the same thing at my local Costco tonight, but they also had an instant rebate. Cost was $21.00 for each eneloop power pack set.
Phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:03 PM   #12

I purchased 4 packages of 4 Eneloops from Thomas Distributing at a fair price $8.50/pkg of 4). But, be aware,

the date code was "2006-09" which means they are about 1.5 years old. I called them and their explaination was "2006 is the year they were patented and 09 is the last year they are OK" That's BS!

I would avoid Thomas Distributing since they are selling old stock and then making up stories to justify it.

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:33 AM   #13

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
I would avoid Thomas Distributing since they are selling old stock and then making up stories to justify it.
Each to his own, but I would not avoid them. They are highly reputable and service a vast electronics industry including many photographic professionals. I have never had any issues with them. Nonetheless, one will occasionally encounter a poor representative at virtually any company and there will always be someone who encounters a problem at virtually any company.

I buy batteries and chargers from Thomas Distributing with no hesitation.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:04 PM   #14

"But, be aware, the date code was "2006-09" which means they are about 1.5 years old."

Did they still have a charge on them?

If 2006-09 means they were manufactured in September 2006, wouldn't that make them 1.3 years old?

Does the age of the batteries really matter?

Would you rather pay $13 for a package of 4, to get 'newer' batteries?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:01 PM   #15

When I said a year and a half - that was a reasonable rounding. If we want to get very accurate, depending on whether we assume the beginning or end of Sept, we would have batteries from 1.29 to 1.38 years old.

I checked their charge with a tester I bought from Thomas and they showed 40-60% whichis likely in line with batteries about 1.29-1.38 years old (eneloops).

I know that Li Ions are known to degrade within 3 years of manufacture. I don't know if that's true with the newer NiMH. If it is true with NuMH, then I've lost half of their use.

I have bought many batteries from Thomas previously and had no complaints. On this purchase, I was troubled by their "STORY" more so than the actual date code. Telling me the 2006 referred to a "patent date" and the "09" to a last use date is rather bad. If the truth was told, I never would have posted!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:18 PM   #16

NT = No Text

When I replied before, I hit <enter> twice and it double posted. I could not delete the second one, so I figured I just delete the text.

Bob

Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:37 PM   #17

Same thing happened to me...no sense asking twice.

Interesting discovery about the batteries...assuming you are correct about the date code (and I think you are), you could leave Eneloops in a device for a year and a half (or there abouts) and still have sufficient charge to function. Try that with your regular NiMH's...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:11 AM   #18

Anyone use the Energizer 15 minute charger for Eneloops? I just got my two 8 packs from Amazon yesterday and want to know if it's safe and if they will last as long compared to a slow charger, I'm hearing different things

Thanks
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:05 AM   #19

With respect to the RayOVac equivalents, I've been satisfied so far.

Yesterday I brought home another set of four to carry as back up to the batteries in my SB800. ($9.99 at Fleet Farm.)

Out of curiosity, I discharged them in a Maha C9000 and found that they had about 1825 mah left in them as brought home from the store.

------------------------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:27 PM   #20

thanks for help
v2d8 is offline   Reply With Quote