Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:52 AM   #1

I charged up a set of 2100mAh Hybrios and a set of 2500mAh Energizers 2 weeks ago and discharged one cell from each yesterday. The discharge curves are quite informative, especially if you have a camera with a high shutdown voltage like the Pentax K100D........

Attached Images

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:32 PM   #2

SteveB,

I take it the conclusion is that although the Energizers have got more energy, the voltage sags a lot sooner than the Hybrios and the Hybrio last longer in your camera? That is what I read from the graph at least.

My Olympus C-40Z does exactly the same, it is very voltage sensitive and once it has determined the batteryto be flat (even though it may not actually be), it shuts down.

I don't really care if a battery is 10,000mAh but after 1 month it is completely flat. I am a Hybrio convert and will only use the Energizers for items that require power right after charging.

Of course I have justpurchased a set of Eneloops (in the UK) from http://www.gadgetbatteries.co.uk/they arrived quickly and I am in the process of doing some tests on them and will post results after 30 days of self discharge.

The Eneloops were £9.99 whereas the Hybrios were £6.99 (from Wilkinsons) so no matter what the results are, the Hybrios are better value for money (considering a set of Duracell M3s can costin excess of £2.50)

StuartP
StuartP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:45 AM   #3

That's my conclusion as well. Another wonderful feature of the Hybrios seems to be that they recover with rest after a shot taking session, i.e. their voltage goes up after a short period switched off! I've just come to the end of life after their first charge at 500 shots over a 4 week period, with a 'Battery Depleted' message, but I've switched the cam off for 5 minutes and it's OK to use again. Flash seems to be what finally finishes them off, rather than the AF motor or the LCD display. Got to 530 shots at the second depleted message, that would be with about 40 flash shots and two 24hr periods where I forgot to turn the camera off on the switch and it turned off itself. No burst modes were used, SR on all the time. AF speed doesn't seem any slower as end of battery life approaches.

5 minutes rest and off we go again, it's working for normal shots although I'm sure the flash would kill them again. So, quite an endeering trait, no more sudden dying.

Finally got 590 shots before finally dying, no flash used in the last 60 shots. I say they're dead but after another rest they're ready to go again. I give up. They're getting charged.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:04 AM   #4

For those of a technical nature, I just measured the 'dead' Hybrios and they're 1.22v off load, 1.19v loaded with 3 ohms. So the K100D doesn't actually flatten batteries, just gets them to the point where the voltage crosses the arrow on my graph above, so in the case of Hybrios it's at least 75% charge used up, with Energizers (after a fortnight or more 'rest') it could be less than an annoying max of 30% but that's just based on the graph.

I haven't actually run Energizers yet in the camera after a 'rest' but based on reputation I would expect them to do poorly if not used in the few days after charging.