Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:17 PM   #11

Myth: Quick charging NiMH batteries will reduce their life.

"For batteries that are designed to be quick charged, for example, Sanyo, Golden Power, Energizer, that is absolutely not true. It is important to use a battery charger that has been specifically designed to rapid charge NiMH cells. Actually there is a much greater likely hood of reducing the life of a NiMH battery by using an "overnight" charger than by using a smart fast charger. Overnight chargers rely on the fact that you will unplug them after a number of hours. If you forget to unplug them they can continue to charge the batteries longer than they should. Overcharging WILL reduce the life of batteries."

SOURCE: GREENBATTERIES
http://www.greenbatteries.com/docume...tery_myths.htm
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:50 PM   #12

to make your point i suggest using a more objective source. greenbatteries.com seems to sell just what your referring to. wouldn't be in their best interest to "dispell the myths" for cashflow purposes?

here is another point of view from another "less than objective source"- http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...-batteries.htm

note the 3rd paragraph from the bottom

also take note on conditioning too

newer chargers use one of two basic methods to charge and to cease with of course their own twists in tech. Delta T and Delta V. the more advanced chargers use variations on Delta V.

read up on it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
to make your point i suggest using a more objective source. greenbatteries.com seems to sell just what your referring to. wouldn't be in their best interest to "dispell the myths" for cashflow purposes?

here is another point of view from another "less than objective source"- http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...-batteries.htm
Objective? Don't you mean biased? Greenbatteries.com is just a small outfit trying to stay alive in a fierce market. There is no reason for their claims to be false. I have also confirmed this with battery and charger manufacturers and their specifications and engineering manuscripts.

Thomas Distributing sells mainly Maha Energy. They are Maha's top distributor. As a result they have a vested interest in Maha Energy both market wise and financially (sort of like a car dealership does with the manufacturer). "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine". If you check out the following link you will note that GreenBatteries.Com sells many other types of chargers.

The Rayovac 1 Hour uses Delta V + Timer backup + thermal shutdown protection. There is no proof that quick charging (good example is using the Rayovac 1 Hour) will shorten the life of NiMH batteries when the proper batteries and charger are used as I said in my previous post. There are however cheap imitation quick chargers on the market that will overcharge your NiMH's and ruin them if left in too long.

Don't get me wrong though. Maha chargers are great but not the best. Neither is Rayovac the best. But in my case, the Rayovac does the job faster than anything in this price range for consumers (including Maha's chargers). There are better quick chargers on the market if your willing to spend $100-$200. BTW, greenbatteries sells the Maha 204 as well.
http://store.yahoo.com/greenbatterie.../chargers.html
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:57 AM   #14
NHL

I have many chargers... Maha included, and the Rayovac is my favorite because it's so fast! For over two years now I haven't had any 'dead' cells... and the batteries are so cheap anyway so why argue about it! :P

Most people will ended up upgrading to more powerful 2100mAh and now 2300mAh batteries before reaching the end of life of their old cells anyway, so peace everyone! Some people like the fast-track (because they have more than 1 camera or other devices/accessories to power, ie flashes & MP3 players etc...) others prefer a more leisurely pace (and the confidence of a good brand)... This is just peanut $ for what you've already paid for the cameras! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:01 AM   #15

objectivity: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations- Merriams/Websters Dictionary

no, i meant objective. its about the same. we just went to different schools.

Quote:
There are however cheap imitation quick chargers on the market that will overcharge your NiMH's and ruin them if left in too long
i'll agree with you there. also those chargers can charge at higher current pushes than the battery chemistry is designed for too right off the bat. a well designed smart charger can shut down and then keep a maintainance charge and most NiMh batts can stay on charge this way for upwards of a year. i've done this for years and my average lifespan for recharge has been well over the advertised 500+ recharge cycles.

NHL is right though this is jut a moot point. use what you want ant it will probably work for you.

now i prefer the Maha charger for a few reasons
1- it works well (as designed by the manufacturer)
2- it is compact (travels well)
3- it is multinational and multivehicle (it runs in all countries[proper plug adapter reqd of course] and in my car) even the wall wart profile is smaller. which means it travels real well.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:44 AM   #16
NHL

FYI everyone:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...mber/680/ln/en
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote