Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:43 PM   #21

Mine arrived this evening . I'm breaking in a set of Sanyo 2700s that I purchased over the summerwhich have never been charged.

Initial impressions: A travel charger this is not I had trouble getting it to fit in the case. But as a desktop charger, the size is great! Very sturdy and well built.

The display is brilliant, and configuring each slot is effortless. I had originally thought it would be cumbersome to program each slot individually, but I found that not to be the case.

As Deke mentioned, you all should love this charger.Time will tell, but my first impression is very positive.Looks like my BC-900 will become my new travel charger . . .

coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:55 AM   #22
Administrator

I received one from TD on 12/26. It is an amazing charger and even those of us with "eyeglass" vision will enjoy that BIG display, it isvery easy to see and more importantly, it is easy to understand. Just insert a battery, select mode (default is Charge), set the desired charge current (default is 1000mAh) and away you go. It prompts for each of these (and waits abt 5 secs)when you insert a battery, if you just pop in cells it uses the default values and charges at 1000mAh.

It is not a small charger by any means but it isn't gigantic either. There is ample "breathing" space between the batteries and it has a flip-out wire stand to prop the bottom up to keep things cool during charging. So far it is impressive and works as advertised. Next I will give it a thorough workout in Refresh mode on some old cells that have been sitting here for a long time.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:06 AM   #23

Some initial concerns have been posted over @ CPF.

Last night, I started a break in cycle for some new Sanyo 2700 cells. About 20 min ago, the power in my home went out for about 1 second and then came back on. The charger had reset itself to the default charging mode.

My concern here is this: Unless you have the charger plugged into a UPS system, if the power goes out 10, 20, or 30 hours into a break in cycle, you loose the cycle and have to start over.

The other concern is individial slots not terminating charge when the cell has reached max capacity. Again, you can read about this over @ CPF.

I'm not posting this to slam the charger in any way, but merely to inform folks of what has been observed up to this point.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:31 PM   #24

Just received my unit about 30 minutes ago.A careful read of the instructions and I've got it working on four troublesome Energizer 2500 AA's. I'm all but ready to toss these batteries in the trash, but I figured I would try and salvage them. They are now running through the Break-In cycle, as per the manual. If this can't save 'em, nothing can.

As for the charger, too soon to really give it an in depth review. But at first blush it appears to be a home run. Nice looking unit,large and legiblescreen, and easy to use, even for a dolt like me. In fact, the screen is spitting out more information than I fully understand. But for some of you uber-geeks , you'll think you died and went to heaven.
Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:10 PM   #25
Administrator

coppertrail wrote:
Quote:
Some initial concerns have been posted over @ CPF.

Last night, I started a break in cycle for some new Sanyo 2700 cells. About 20 min ago, the power in my home went out for about 1 second and then came back on. The charger had reset itself to the default charging mode.

All "smart" chargerswilldo this unfortunately -- at leastuntil someone puts an inexpensive memory battery in them.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:32 PM   #26

Thanks Steve, I found this out shortly after I posted this. My solution was to purchase asmall APC unit. I should get around 50+ minutes of runtime in the event of a power outage. This will take care of very minute power outages where the power company's backup power kicks in after a few seconds.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:20 AM   #27

Let me see...you buy a $60 charger, which takes 39 hours to charge 4 AA batteries...then you buy a $40 - $80 (?) APS unit to back up your $60 battery charger, in case there is a momentary power failure, so your new AA batteries aren't damaged...I hope I got that right...

How did I manage to cope with a CHG-2000PDSC charger and eight Nexcell 2400 mAh batteries that I bought on ebay for $15.53 two years ago? I should just throw them all in the garbage...except for the fact they work so well...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:08 AM   #28

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Let me see...you buy a $60 charger, which takes 39 hours to charge 4 AA batteries...then you buy a $40 - $80 (?) APS unit to back up your $60 battery charger, in case there is a momentary power failure, so your new AA batteries aren't damaged...I hope I got that right...

How did I manage to cope with a CHG-2000PDSC charger and eight Nexcell 2400 mAh batteries that I bought on ebay for $15.53 two years ago? I should just throw them all in the garbage...except for the fact they work so well...

the Hun
That about sums it up nicely! :lol::-)
Carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Administrator

The 39 hours is only whenyou use the Refresh mode, normal charging isway faster than that. If the power fails or browns out then the charger reverts to defaultCharge mode @ 1000mAh so one way or another they get charged.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:03 PM   #30

Right Steve, it'sonly 39 hours for the Forming mode. Charging takes 1-2 hours depending on thecharge current you select.

AFAIC, $40 for a small UPS unit is a drop in the bucket. I consider itinsurance against time andpotential damage to the items connected to it. I don't want to be 30 hours into a forming charge and loose it because of asmall power outage.I know folks who spend thousands more onother things, so I don't feel bad

I wouldn't spend $80 on a UPS for this charger alone (I did spend 40). Look at it this way, if the power goes out at night, I'll have a lamp plugged into the UPS so at least I can see

The funniest thing is your summary did run through my head and I laughed about it. Isaid to my girlfriend"I spend $60 on a charger, now I have to spend another $40 so it doesn't drop charge

So you're right, I spent $100 on a charger . . .