Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:25 AM   #1

Any downside to using a reputable generic brand as opposed to the Nikon EN-EL3 battery, for say Nikon D80, 200, etc.?

Thanks.
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:21 AM   #2

If a generic battery leaks in your camera and ruins it, do you think Nikon will honor your warranty?

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...p?p_faqid=8119

In an earlier post, you were considering purchasing an extended warranty to protect your camera...now your considering saving...a couple of dollars on a battery?

Whatever you decide, I think the key word in your post was..."reputable". I would avoid the $2 ebay batteries if I were you. Of course, you will always find someone who has used these cheap batteries and never had a problem...yet.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:55 PM   #3

Thank you for you reply.

I am definitely staying away from the cheap $2 ebay batteries. But I am always open to saving money, if quality is not compromised!

At least you made me think of what else can void warranty besides physical abuse of the product...

Thanks.
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:26 PM   #4

I've thought the same thing (saving a few bucks on the generic batteries).

Yet, a "Nikon" battery is about $45 whereas the knock-offs are about $35. In my opinion $10 just isn't worth the risk of ruining your $1,000 Nikon camera (give or take a few hundred depending on what model Nikon you have).

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:29 AM   #5

I purchased several EN-EL3 batteries off the internet, not E Bay. They were only about $8.00 each. I had to search for the 1500 mAh. No if ands or buts about them, they work, and I have no fear that they will ruin my camera. My camera at present is the D70s. I was appaled at the price of the Nikon EN-EL3a. There is no reasonable explanation as to why they are so expensive. Most people will only have the re-charger that comes with the Nikon camera kit. It charges a battery back to what the charger thinks is full, and the light stays on steady instead of flashing when not fully charged.

I am editing and apoligizing formy previous log due to some research that I made on the Li-Ion type batteries. While my convictions about NiMH batteries having a need to be deep purged before recharging, and doing it at least three times before putting theminto constant use still holds. However, after doing some research, I found that you can possibly damage an Li-Ion battery by depleating down below usefulness. Li-Lion batteries do better by re-charging when only down by 40%. It would do all users good to do a search on the internet for Li-Ion and do a little learning. I am still convinced that Nikon EN-EL3abatteries are way over priced and are really no better thanwhat is on the market from abroad. The newer batteries, especially the 1500 mAh,hold up wonderfully under heavy use.

The new standard is to keep 3 on hand at maximum. One in the camera, and two for backup. When you have a shoot for a day, you will probably not use up all the juice in the battery, take it out and put it in the charger and top it off. Put one of the others in on rotation. If the shoot is very heavy that day, change out the battery during the day. Do not deplete the battery below 40%.
The reason I say maximum of 3, is that the Li-Ion manufacturers do not recommend buying a battery to store as an extra. Li-Ion batteries have a different chemistry and composition and shelf life depends on repeated use and repeated charging. You can not just store them and have them be ready later.

Back to the NiMH AA batteries. You will still need them for yourexternal flash for a while. Do not scrimp on them and buy MAHA or a high quality brand and no less than 2500mAH. I use the MAHA chargers because they allow for complete discharge and recharge. The Nikon 800 flash uses 5 AA batteries. An odd number for most chargers, since most only take 4 cells. Get a couple of chargers, get a couple of extra packs of batteries.

Something interesting, theNiMH 5 cellscan't keep up with the one 1500 Li-Ion.
Do your own math for a shoot.

Good luck, sorry for the original distraction, amazing what you can learn when you do your homework.

Tejas Medicineman

tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote