Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:57 PM   #1

I was reading the PDF on this new charger/analyzer. Didn't notice any mention of a "slow mode" or "fast mode". Does it not have one?

Also, this charger/analyzer allows you to set the "charge rate" (200-2000 mAh), the "discharge rate" (100-1000 mAh)...etc. What I'm wondering here is...what if I'm charging4 2700 mAh batteries? Would you just set the "charge rate" to 2000 mAh and the "discharge rate" to 1000 mAh? And why wouldn't you be setting both rates to 2700 mAh? If you're charging 2700 mAh batteries.

If you could explain it in layman's terms...thanks!! :-)

http://www.paulsfinest.com/pdf/MHC9000_PR.pdf
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2

Hello Dark,

The "slow" charging mode is 200 mA. The "fast" charging mode is 2000 mA. On top of that you have some options in between those two. 300 mA may be considered slightly faster than "slow" mode. 1900 mA may be considered slightly slower than "fast" mode. And so on...

The charger is only capable of 2000 mA, so you can not set it up for 2700 mA, and since it is only capable of 1000 mA of discharge current, you can't set it for higher than that.

Cell testing is usually done to reflect "real world" use. If you have an application that involves currents above 1000 mA, this may not be the best charger/analyzer to use for analysis for that application.

The higher capacity cells seem to have higher internal resistance. Charging a 2700 mAh cell at 2700 mA may cause the cell to get hot and reduce its life. The same goes for the discharge side of things.

The idea of getting involved in analyzing cells is a personal choice. Some people prefer to just put cells in a charger and complain when they don't get the performance they expected. Others prefer to analyzer their stockpile of cells so they know which cells they can depend on. The first group will complain that this charger is too complex to use. The second group will wonder how they got along without it for all these years. Their life will be simplified and they will enjoy years of trouble free picture taking. Their worries will move from wondering about equipment failure, to worrying about composition and lighting.

Batteries make your camera and flash work. If you don't know the condition of your batteries, your camera may malfunction at the wrong time. Knowing how your batteries can be expected to perform can help you plan for those "once in a lifetime" moments.

It is my humble opinion that everyone that uses batteries should get to know a little bit about them. This charger/analyzer can go a long way to understanding how your batteries perform. You may find that what you thought were bargain batteries, do not perform well at all, and the extra you pay for premium batteries is well worth it because if the increase in performance. You may even find a cell of good value. Value being defined as a cell with good performance at a decent price.

That's about as simple as I can get it...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the info SilverFox. If I do pickup a Maha charger I guess I'll just stick with either the 401 or 801D (or S). All I really need is a good "smart" charger for my Powerex 2700 mAh cells. Or not. As, next year I'm planning on getting a DSLR. So when that happens I'll hardly use my current digicam. The Sony DSC-H1. Shrug... :lol:

I'm going to bow out of this tread...take it easy and have a good Xmas and Happy New Year!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Hello Dark,

Both of those chargers should do a good job of charging and should work well for you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote