Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:58 PM   #1

Good day everybody,

I am getting a new digital camera. I was wondering should I look for camera using AA or Lithium battery.

For AA, it is cheaper and easier to get hold in case of emergency i.e. battery flat.

For Lithium, it is more expensive.

I was told that Lithium give camera better power and performance then AA. Is it true? Or just a salesman marketing strategy?

I will appreciate opinion from you. Thank you in advance.

MYJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2
mrb

From my research I believe that Li-Ion batteries pack more power relative to their size, therefore they are usually lighter, making the camera lighter. They also have a slower discharge rate than NiMH batteries. To get a second battery for a Li-Ion camera will be more expensive at first.

For me, I chose a camera with AA's, just in case. We went on vacation last year, and my daughter forgot the charger for her Li-Ion Olympus battery, so she could not use the camera.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:16 AM   #3

MYJulie wrote:
Quote:
Good day everybody,

I am getting a new digital camera. I was wondering should I look for camera using AA or Lithium battery.

For AA, it is cheaper and easier to get hold in case of emergency i.e. battery flat.

For Lithium, it is more expensive.

I was told that Lithium give camera better power and performance then AA. Is it true? Or just a salesman marketing strategy?

I will appreciate opinion from you. Thank you in advance.

If you'll be using the camera a lot daily or weekly or combined then I would say use NIMH of the highest capacity you can find and a charger speed you can live with. The faster the battery charger the more it'll cost. A 5 hour chargeris a good balance of mid-speed to gentleness on the batteries allowing them to last longer also the price is cheaper. If you plan on shooting a lot if is a good idea to get 1-2 packs of NIMH. Pending the camera you own it may be 4xAA or 2xAA. If it's 2xAA then 1 pack will cover twice the shots.

If you plan on going on vacation or important trip I highly recommend bringing one set of alkaline or lithium batteries with you and put it in the bag/pocket. I would pick lithium over alkaline because it has a long storage life of around 8-10yrs. If it was me I would use a NIMH setup wtih 1-2 packs of batteries and keep an eye out for sales on the lithium batteries and buy a pack when they are on sale and keep it as a backup. As said by the previous poster if you forget the charger you're not all screwed as you can use up your NIMH's then use your lithiums last so you lessen the chance to miss that critical shot.

One way of not forgetting the charger is to gun tape it to the leg. :lol:Just make sure you plastic wrap the charger before you take a shower. :G

Zero_Enigma

zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote