Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I bought a Charger and 4 AA batteries for 24$ the batteries are Ni-MH at 2000mAh. The charger can charge Ni-MH and Ni-CD. Also the charger can charge AAA'S.

CLIFF NOTES: Using batteries in a Aiptek DZO-V3T(IS-DV2) and i was wondering if i got a good deal for the batteries. I have not tested the life of the batteries yet.
darkfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:01 PM   #2

Hello Darkfoxx,

Are there any brand names on the batteries and charger?

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3

It is called Digital Concepts. The batteries are 2000mAh Ni-MH.It came with 4 AA and cal also charge AAA and Ni-cd batteries.Quick charges in 2 hours 2000 Mah High Capacity AC/DC.Came with a Car pulg up also. Back fo the charger says.....Input DC 500MAH.
Output:AA-2.8/5.6V DC 700mA
AAA-2.8/5.6V DC 350 mA

I can charge 2 at a time by switching it to 2 or 4 at a time by switching it to 4.

The higest i see on the paper it can charge is 2300mAh at 200 Minutes plus trickle charging.

Does that mean the charger will only charge up to 2300mAh barreries only?

Is it microprocessor controlled with a -dv cutoff function and a self times to prevent over charge. if any more info in needed i will be glad to provide more.

Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:10 AM   #4

Hi Darkfoxx

2000mAh are pretty low tech for AA NiMH batteries. But if it does what you need, them there is no reason for concern.

Where are the batteries and charger made?

The best AA battery cells are Japanese made, and the best chargers are made in Taiwan. There is a lot of product coming out of China nowadays, but my customers (Camera stores) tell me they receive a high % of returns in the first 12 months. If your batteries and charger are made in China, keep your receipt in a place you can find it, should you need it.
servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:48 AM   #5

both of this made in china.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:03 AM   #6

Hello Darkfoxx,

I just happen to be in the middle of testing some Digital Concepts batteries. They seem to be consistent from cell to cell, but are over rated. The cells that I have are supposed to be 2500 mAh, and are turning out to be closer to 2000 mAh.

If your cells are similar to mine, they may be correctly labeled and they should give you good performance. If your cells are optimistically labeled, as mine are, you will see reduced run time. Lower capacity cells tend to last longer than the latest high capacity cells when it comes to charge/discharge cycles. The high capacity cells do give improved run times, but they seem to be more fragile.

I don't like your charger. I prefer chargers that charge each cell individually. Chargers that charge in pairs are a compromised design targeted toward applications that use cells in pairs. If one cell is at a different state of charge from the other one, cell damage can occur while charging in pairs. Individual chargers do not have this problem and are better. The price has come down on individual chargers, so I generally recommend them over chargers that charge in pairs. If your cells are new and well matched, you can get away with charging in pairs, but as the cells age they tend to become mismatched and you end up ruining the cells on this type of charger.

The timer on your charger will determine the capacity of cell you can charge. Your charger is supplying 700 mA per pair of cells. That works out to 350 mA per cell. It will take around 7 hours to fully charge a pair of empty 2000 mAh cells. If your timer shuts things off at 8 hours, 2000 mAh cells are about the highest capacity you can charge. On the other hand, if your timer runs for 9 - 10 hours, you would be able to charge 2500 mAh cells.

Your charger specifications state that it uses - delta V to terminate the charge when the cell is fully charged. The problem is that it does not charge at a high enough rate to develop a strong - delta V signal. The battery manufacturers recommend using a 0.5C charge rate to get a strong end of charge signal. For 2000 mAh cells, that works out to a 1000 mA charge rate. You are way below that.

Your cells may be over rated and your charger is "less than stellar." This set up may work fine for you, but there are better alternatives out there.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:36 AM   #7

Are there universa; chargers that can charge and AA like from 2000 to 2900 mAh? is so im gonna buy a new charger.

The batteres can giving me 3 hours of record time. So i am not complaning but i would like a chzrger with a LCD screen to show the status of each cell and charge induvidually(sp?) like silverfox said.

I would rate these batteries and charger a 3.5/out of a 5.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:00 AM   #8
blr

darkfoxx wrote:
Quote:
Are there universa; chargers that can charge and AA like from 2000 to 2900 mAh? is so im gonna buy a new charger.

The batteres can giving me 3 hours of record time. So i am not complaning but i would like a chzrger with a LCD screen to show the status of each cell and charge induvidually(sp?) like silverfox said.

I would rate these batteries and charger a 3.5/out of a 5.
LaCrosse BC-900 and Maha C9000 are two such analyzing chargers that can charge, discharge, cycle each cell individually and much more.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote