Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1

My A70 operated for years on rechargeable AAs just fine, but after I moved to higher-capacity batteries (1800 - 2650 mAh) it gives very few shots before shutting down and displaying the "Change battery pack" error message.

Single-use alkaline and lithium AAswork great, and give a tremendous amount of shots. But now I have a bunch of useless high-capacity AAs the A70 doesn't like.Is there a known issue with this older A-series camera and newer rechargeables? Thanks.
Idaho Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:23 PM   #2

Unfortunately NiMH AA batteries are 1.2 volts vice the 1.5 of a standard alkaline AA. A number of Canon cameras read the voltage output of the batteries and find NiMH rechargables to be right on their threshhold tolerance and shut down, even though the batteries are fully charged and usable (ain't technology wonderful?). From what I've read it seems to me that the brand of batterymakes a difference,so you can try a different brand and see if that helps (I use Panasonic and Energizer NiMH in my Canon A700 successfully, and I know of another A700 using Kodak NiMH batteries successfully).

I've also found that some off brand batteries fail to charge o a usable level after a few uses, so I've stuck with these brands that I now know work well in mine.

JimZ
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.I think you're correct on the voltage.My problem AA batteries are Duracell brand NiMH, 1.2-volt. I'll try those other brands and check the specs before I buy.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:54 PM   #4

All Ni-MH batteries will list their voltage as 1.2v. That is the "standard" nominal voltage of Ni-MH battery chemistry. In the tests conducted at http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Reviews.htmlit appears that some will run at a higher voltage during their discharge time than others. The Sanyo eneloops look like they would be the best choice not only for keeping a relatively high volgage but for keeping their charge on the shelf substantially longer than regular Ni-MH batteries. To see what I mean, check the voltage graph by clicking in the voltage graph column for each tested battery and divide the voltage by 4 to get volts per cell. Note how somedrop to 1 volt per cell rather quickly, whereas others stay above that for most of their running time.
vivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:40 PM   #5

Hello Mike.

A word of warning! using AA Lithium's is likely to fry your camera as they are 3.6V

or so each, I've never seen a 1.5V lithium cell .

As your old rechargeables worked fine then It's likely the new ones are defective

or a bad brand. Maha is a decent brand and work fine in my A710IS.

Do note, it takes a few complete cycles of charge and discharge for the new

batteries to get the the specified capacity.

Do carry spares.

Regards

Malcolm

Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:34 PM   #6

Callum Ferguson wrote
Quote:
A word of warning! using AA Lithium's is likely to fry your camera as they are 3.6V
or so each, I've never seen a 1.5V lithium cell .
AA Lithium cells are 1.5volt and will work fine. It is Lithium-ION rechargeable cells that you are thinking of and, true, Lithium-ION rechargeables cells are 3.7volts and are not made in the AA size for that very reason.

Because AA Lithium cells, such as the Energizer e2 Lithium, are expensive at around $2.50 each, they are best used as an emergency backup if your Ni-MH rechargeable cells give out and you need to continue shooting before you can recharge them. Just be sure to label the Lithium cells as NON-Rechargeable so you don't accidentally put them in your charger.

If you are looking for a good Ni-MH rechargeable, the new Sanyo eneloop cells seem to keep their voltage at a useable level during their entire discharge cycle. See the website I link in my previous reply for the voltage graph. In addition, the eneloop cell was developed to keep its charge on the shelf for many months instead of self-discharging like regular Ni-MH cells do. I am expecting a set in the mail and will be trying them soon.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7

Vivona.

They are you know, see

http://ecobatteries.co.nz/tek3.6v.html

Widely used by the radio control aircraft brigade.

As you say it could easilly bean opps waiting to hapen.

Regards

Malcolm
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:51 PM   #8

I hadn't seen the 3.6 volt variety of Lithium AA. It must have two cells within. You are very correct, they certainly could invite problems for someone that buys a set and tries to put them in place of regular AA batteries.

I have never seen a Lithium-ION rechargable AA cell. Is someone making them, too?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:18 AM   #9

Vivona.

I think I'm in error here, I had assumed the Tekcell was a rechargeable.

Must pay more attention to whats printed.

Sorry.

Regards

Malcol
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:05 PM   #10

It was indeed single-use lithium AAs I was referring to, and not 3.6-V lithium-ion rechargeables.

I'm looking at my pile of DuracellNiMH AAs, which only give about 30 shots in my A70 before "change battery pack" shows up. One set of eight AAs is 2400 mAh; the other is 2650. Both sets were charged/discharged/recharged several times to condition thembefore I determined they wouldn't work properly.

The A70 takes four AAs. Oddly enough, back when I used NiMH cells in the 1000 mAh range, I didn't have a problem.

Right now, I get a LOT of shots per set of single-use batteries, so I'm giving up on expensive rechargeables for now. With a cheap set of Kirkland alkaline AAs, I get around 350-450 shots per set. Can't complain.