Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:41 AM   #1

hi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can anybody tell me what is the average life of a NiMH cell. I have been using these in my W1 sony since 2004 and now these are not supporting more than a few snaps, particularly with Flash ON.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is this a regular case or something to do with my W1 camera. With the same reason I plan to go for S3 IS (for better power management) rather than H5 using the same 2 cells only!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Again when we can expect S4 coming out?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Regds,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"mk
mohkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:52 AM   #2

What do you have against the H5 ?

With a good set of 2700 batteries you should easily get 250-350 shots, and thats with a nice 3in screen vs the tiddly screen on the S3.

Bring 2 extra batteries to equal the Canons 4 and you easily get 500-700 shots, and that is more than the Canon can manage..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:11 AM   #3

hi

I wanted to know approx. how many total snaps can be taken by using one set of cells(through out its life!)

These cells have an average life, if I am correct. I have used mine for about two half years and presently not giving the normal life. I must have taken more than 2500 snaps.

Is thisthe normal life perriod for these NiMH cells?

Mk
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:33 AM   #4
blr

The life of NiMH cells depends on several factors in order of importance:

1. Charging

2.Quality and capacity of the cells

3. Usage and storage conditions

When we talk about NiMH it is better to talk about the so-called cycle life, i.e. the number of charge/discharge cycles before the capacity of the cell is decreased significantly (to approximately 80% of its initial value)

Charging is perhaps the most important factor. Overcharging, especially at high qurrents applied by quick chargers can reduce cycle life 3-4 times. Tipically, if you use 1-2 hour charger, that applies a small overcharge, expect to get 100-150 cycles out of good quality cells. Slow chargers, if used properly can give you a better cycle life, but at the expense of long charging times and the inconvinience to discharge your cells fully every time. With a properly specified and working fast cahrger you can get 300-400 cycles on a good cell of moderate capacity.

I don't know how your cells have been used and charged, but it may be a time to get new ones.

blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5

Hello Mk,

Just to put some numbers on things...

I did a comparison of fast charging with the Energizer 15 minute charger, vs slow charging with a Sanyo 2 hour charger. The cells were completely discharged every cycle.

The 2500 mAh cells lasted 125 cycles on the Energizer 15 minute charger, and were quite weak after 150 cycles on the 2 hour charger.

From this limited testing I can conclude that high capacity cells should last around 125 charge/discharge cycles. They may last more if conditions are right.

I then decided to do another round of testing with lower capacity cells. I chose Titanium 2000 mAh cells for the test. The testing was done under the same conditions and with the same chargers.

At the end of 150 cycles, the cells charged on both chargers were still going strong. The 2 hour charger cells were holding up better than the 15 minute charger cells, but both were showing good performance. Looking into my crystal ball, :-)I might predict that these cells would continue to show good results for 300 - 500 cycles.

From this limited testing I can conclude that lower capacity cells seem to be more robust and give longer life than high capacity cells.

As Blr has indicated, there are a lot of factors involved in cycle life. The best I can do is to advise you to use your cells often, and when their performance drops, replace them.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for your note.

I started analysing NiMH celllife because I am presently waiting for upgrading my camera W1 Sony to S3 IS (probably S4 IS!!) shortly. I started looking only those models with AA cells for more easy life. But if we are not getting an avg. life for these AA cells, again the marksgoes for modelsusing thebulky cells.

I have been using Sony supplied 1.2V, 2100mAh NiMH cells along with a very slow charger. Now thesehave weakend before its avg. life. May be I am not a regular user, which may be reason these cells failed so fast.

For an avg. user, these AA cells are really a nice pick.

I kept away from H5, taking their Power management (using only 2 cells).

Mk