Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:42 PM   #1
WIB

Hello ,

I bought these batteries about 7 month ago and now it seems that the batteries self discharge very fast, it only last for a couple of days and when i bought it the batteries last for almost two weeks. I charge the batteries with Energizer charger, I wonder if theEnergizer charger does not workingprobably and does not charge the Sanyo 2500 to it's maximum. This has also happened to the Energizer NiMh 2500 batteries with the same problem.

If I have to buynew set of batteris for my Fuji Finepix 5600 will Sanyo Eneloops 2000 NiMh able toperform well with my camera?.

Please advice me.

Thank You

Wan
WIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2

Hello Wan,

Sanyo, like Energizer and Powerex, have had problems with their 2500 mAh cells. Some batches seem to work fine, but others develop a high rate of self discharge.

The Eneloop cells seem to be working out very well.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:37 PM   #3
WIB

Tom thank you for replying , so I will have to buy new set of batteries. I have to wait for a while if i want to buy Eneloop battery because local store here in Sabah does not sell it yet.

Wan
WIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4

Hi, everyone.

I've too had problems with Sanyo 2500 mah's-only, you won't believe this, the 4 cells lasted me just 2 recharges!

Got abt 40 snaps out of the first charge, 110 odd from the second and then just 2-3!

After discharging them in my portable CD player ( I did'nt dare to do it in my Canon A620 since the last time the lens got stuck midway while retracting)I recharged them( Charger=Sanyo NC-MQRO2)& measured the voltage-3 cells showed 0.8 V & 1 showed 1.2V !

I then exchanged the Sanyos for Fujicell 2600 mah And got App 450 snaps + three 15" movies out of the first charge.

I read somewhere in this forum that Nimh's never get fully discharged in the camera hence its wise to completely discharge them once in a while in order to preserve their capacity.

Since my charger does not have the discharge function, what be the best way to completely discharge the cells? Would running them in my portable CD player until it stops functioning do the trick?

After how many charge/discharge cycles IN TH CAMERA should I do this complete discharge ?

Advice would be appreciated since this is my first experience with Digital cameras/Rechargeable cells.

Kamal
Kamal Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:24 AM   #5

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6

Hello Kamal,

I believe both your camera and CD player shut off when the cells reach 1 volt under load. If your CD player is designed to run on Alkaline cells, it may go all the way down to 0.5 volts, which is too low for NiMh cells. You would end up with the possibility of destroying your NiMh cells by doing that.

NiMh cells will give more cycles if you limit the discharge to around 80%. This means that if you start off with new cells and find that you can take 300 pictures before the low battery indicator comes on, and another 20 pictures after that before the camera completely shuts down, you should try to recharge your cells after around240 pictures.

You will want to run the batteries completely down to camera shut off after around 4800 pictures, or 20 cycles. If you find it hard to keep track of this, just do it once a year.

I do not recommend running a discharge cycle, unless you have the proper equipment to do so.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:53 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for the info, Tom-will act accly.

Regards, Kamal