Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1

Hello.I've been looking at a number of chargers. Someone told methis 401FS charger by maha,that has been around for awhile,is a good solid charger. I am basically going to be charging AA batteries that have a capacity at 2000 - eniloops I think they're called. Do any of you think this is a good choice? If not, what do you recommend?

K
kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
blr

kaplan wrote:
Quote:
Hello.I've been looking at a number of chargers. Someone told methis 401FS charger by maha,that has been around for awhile,is a good solid charger. I am basically going to be charging AA batteries that have a capacity at 2000 - eniloops I think they're called. Do any of you think this is a good choice? If not, what do you recommend?

K
401 FS is running too hot on fast mode. On slow mode, it is OK, but takes too long to charge. Take a look at Lenmar Pro66 (if you can still find it) or Lenmar Mach1 Gamma. Both charge quickly keeping the cells much cooler than other fast chargers thus prolonging cell life.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3

I tired that charger and returned it cause on the fats mode it almost burned up. I know use the C204F charger.

David
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4

photo5,

I'm not sure what you mean. Per Maha's website, the C204W only has one charge rate and it is 2000mA. The C401FS has two charge rates: a rapid setting of 1000mA and a cool setting of 300mA. Since the C204W has a much higher charge rate it would seem that this one would get batteries hotter. I will assume that my ignorance on this subject is about to reveal itself. Please explain if I am wrong.

K
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5

Whoops. I didn't see that there is a C204F and that its charge rate is 500mA. That is half of what the C401FS is on rapid setting but 200mA higher than the 401's slow setting of 300mA. Maybe the slow setting on the 401 is the best way to go if time isn't an issue as it would save overall battery life. Whatya think?

guess that also means the C204W will melt evry battery it comes in contact with. If the 401's 1000mA gets too hot, imagine what the 204W's 2000mA setting would do to a battery.

K
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:13 PM   #6

If you will only be charging Eneloop cells, and don't need a fast charger, I'd go with the 401FS out of all the Maha chargers suggested here.

The 204F and 204W charge cells in pairs, and not individually. This can lead to under or overcharging of one of the cells in the pair.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:57 PM   #7

I think you're right. I'm going with the 401 and will always charge on the slow mode. I won't be doing much charging at all so this will be fine. I also read somewhere that the low charge rate on the 401 is one of the few if not the only charger with a very low setting (300mA) that is still able to know when to stop charging and go down to the trickle charge. If I ever need to do a quick charge, which I doubt I ever will, I can monitor it to make sure nothing is toasted :-)

Thanks all.

K