Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:15 PM   #1

Hi, I have recently purchased a brand new Nikon Coolpix L1. I got Nikon Nimh 2000 mAh batteris with that and then purchased a new pair of Camelion NiMh 2300 from market. These are working fine. But problem is that in next week I am going for trekking and the temprature will be -20 or less then this at 14000+ feet. I am confused that these batteries will work in low temparature or not. I am also thinking for buying Lithium/Alklien batteris but i dont know that it would be a good choice or not at low temparature. Please tell me which batteries i should use in this scenario.

Thanks
kashif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:31 PM   #2

You might try the new Sanyo Enloops.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:53 PM   #3

At those temperatures, I would go with AA Lithium primary cells. Also consider putting your camera and accessories in a pelican or otterbox case to protect it from the elements.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4

coppertrail wrote:
Quote:
At those temperatures, I would go with AA Lithium primary cells. Also consider putting your camera and accessories in a pelican or otterbox case to protect it from the elements.
Something to consider, unless you have power to recharge your batteries. Unless you are planning a short trip, you may need a lot of batteries......
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:47 PM   #5

Thanks for your response. Actually in our local market Camelion AA Lithium batteries are available. How do you rate Camelion. If these are good then i will go to buy these.

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:16 AM   #6

I can't comment on those cells, but the factor here is temperature. Lithium will operate at lower tems than Alkaline and NiMH cells.

True, if you'll be taking alot of shots, it may require several sets of Lithium cells. But, if you don't want to miss that "perfect shot", the lithiums will be well worth it at the temps you mentioned
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:13 AM   #7

Hello Kashif,

At - 20 C, NiMh batteries will give you around 20% of their capacity, and Lithium batteries around 80%. Go with lithium.

You may find this Energizer information on temperature effects useful.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/temperat.pdf

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:05 PM   #8

thanks dear for such information technical document.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:22 PM   #9

I agree with the lithium recommendation. Alkalines freeze at about -4F (-20C). Lithiums should work very well for you. You might want to have an extra set which you can keep in a pocket very close to your body heat to help keep them warm. If the ones in your camera start to lose power, you can swap them out and put the old ones in you pocket to get them warm again. Another advantage of lithiums is that they have a much slower self-discharge rate than NiMH cells do.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:19 PM   #10

Ummmm, have you checked the operating temp of your camera? I think the low end might be around 32F. Seems to me that the camera might have a problem way before the batteries do.

Might not be an issue if you keep your camera in an inside jacket pocket, but then that should keep the battery toasty too.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote