Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:13 PM   #1

Hi, i recently purchased a canon 710is which i am very happy with. But i need some new batteries for it. I heard some rumors that not all NiMH batteries work in canon cameras, so which would you recommend?
Also, is it important to buy charger/battery combos, or can i use any charger? I have a uniross charger laying aound that came with some 2300mAh batteries. Would it be ok to use this charger with some new batteries, such as eneloops or GP2700mAh?
-walle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2

If you're going with standard NiMH cells, I'd look to Sanyo or Powerex 2700 mAh cells. Both work in my Canon A620. I believe you could use any NiMH cell of your choice in your camera.

The newer Eneloop cells are great if you don't take alot of pictures, and put your camera on a shelf for weeks at a time. They have a much slower self discharge rate compared to standard NiMH cells, at the price of lower capacity (2000 mAh).

Regarding the charger: If it can accomodate 2700 NiMH cells, it will be fine. Sometimes charger specs indicate the max capacity cells that it can charge. You don't have to buy a cell/charger combo. There are alot of great chargers out there, it depends what you need out of your charger.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:20 AM   #3

I use the MAHA Powerex 2700 in my A710.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks, i think i'll go with the eneloops.
-walle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:03 AM   #5

-walle- wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, i think i'll go with the eneloops.
FWIW , I opted to go with the Sony BCG-34HUE4 15-Minute Battery Charger

That comes with 4 Sony 2500 MAH batteries. These hold up great in my 710IS, the charger is well built and will charge 2 or 4 AA, AAA batteries in 15 minutes, the charger even has a built in cooling fan to keep the batteries cool while charging as they do get pretty warm.

• Compatible batteries: AA and AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries [/*]
  • Charge time: 15 minutes [/*]
  • Voltage and temperature monitoring functions: Yes [/*]
  • Automatic charge cutoff: Yes [/*]
  • What's in the box: charger and 4 AA batteries
[/*]

John
escorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:06 AM   #6

I have that charger/cell combo. Many of the reviews indicated that the cells that come with the charger are junk, self-discharge rate very high. If you experience the same, it could be that they have high impedence from sitting idle for a long period of time. If so, run them through 3-5 conditioning cycles on the charger an see if there's an improvement.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote