Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:25 PM   #1

Default Danger using Olympus charger with other batteries?

I just purchased an Olympus c750. It came with batteries and a charger, but the instructions for the charger say:
Danger! Do not attempt to use this charger with anything other than Olympus Camedia batteries...

Is this legit? the Camedia batteries are 1700mAh. My spare set are Digital brand-1800mAh. Will this charger hurt them?
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:46 AM   #2

I don't see how it could, but I'd look for a more experienced person to answer.

If the batteries are the same type (and the seem to be) and the charger is used correctly (if it charges in pairs, only put equally discharged batteries in it) then I think you should be fine.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:36 PM   #3
lg

I've used my Olympus charger to recharge AA's ranging from 1600 to 1850maH...Olympus, Powercell, and Eveready. The charger works just fine for all of these...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 7:41 AM   #4

Default re: olympus charger

The Olympus came with their BU-200 charger, a very basic charger, I assume, since it was part of the camera package. I also asked someone at a camera shop and they "confirmed" that I should stick to Camedia batteries in the unit. Probably because they sell the batteries, at $25 a pop for a 4 pack. Which Olympus charger do you have?
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 1:14 PM   #5

that is called the "DISCLAIMER". it basically is saying we take no responsability for your use of this product now that it is in your hands.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:14 PM   #6
lg

Yeah! It's kinda like the inkjet printer companies declaring that failure to use genuine ______ replacement ink cartridges voids the warranty! Nowadays, the consumables cost more than the printer after just a couple of refills! A lot of times we take what the manufacturer says as gospel, not noting the particular turf they might be guarding at the time...
Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:29 PM   #7

As an "update" to this post I too bought an Oly C-750 coupled with a Camedia BU-300 charger and Camedia 1700mah batteries.
At the same time I bought a set of Panasonic 1950mah.
After reading the camera manual I saw the disclaimer and called the camera shop where I bought the camera.
In my opinion it was just a ploy to sell more Camedia batteries and the photoshop agreed. The one concern I did have though was that the supplied batteries were 1700mah while the ones I bought were 1950mah......could the charger handle this I thought.
As far as I can tell all is well......I have charged both sets a few times and although it does take a bit longer to charge the 1950's (Which makes sense ) no trouble has arisen.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:46 AM   #8

no it not a ploy to sell batteries. it is a legalese statment relieving them of responsibility for any damage to the equipment if you use anything else then the OEM components supplied by them.

its a get out of jail free card if you use a crappy set of batteries that end up screwing things up in the camera like leaking and overcharging.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:41 AM   #9

Well, last time when I was using Oly charger, when I charged Oly batteries, there's no problem and the batteries could last for very long. But when I charged Sanyo batteries (same capacity 1700mAH), the charger behaved strangely - sometimes cut off very soon, sometimes very long (exceeded the expected 2.5hrs). And the Sanyo performed very poorly on usage.

But now the Sanyo 1700 when being charged in a new 4 individual channels smart charger, are performing very satisfactory. :?:
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:19 PM   #10
lg

The problem you described is that same that I have experienced when charging one defective cell with three good ones in a charger that doesn't have but one charging circuit. I have one charger that has two separate circuits, but don't currently have one that has four. If I need to buy another charger, I'll get the one with separate charging circuits for that reason. It might save throwing away 2 or more good batteries because the set of 4 doesn't hold an adequate charge.