Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:40 PM   #1

I have been using rechargeable batteries, Energizer 2500, NiMH. They never seem to last very long. I am wondering if anyone else has ahd this issue. Any recommendations of a better battery/charger? I am using it with a Kodak Z740. My daughter now has a Canon Powershot A550, so we'll need one for her as well! THANKS!
whynot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2

Hello Whynot,

If you do a search on 2500 mAh batteries you will find that this is an ongoing problem. It seems that there are some bad batches of these cells and they develop a high rate of self discharge. Some have reported that they go completely flat in as little as one week.

Changing brands does not seem to help... If your cells are bad, there is no way to draw any meaningful conclusions about your charger.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Hi,SilverFox.

So, any suggestions? What do you do/use? Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:09 PM   #4

I don't know, I have the energizer 2500's and they outlast any regular AA battery I've ever use by a long shot. I shot a 6 hour wedding reception with 4 of them in my Sigma Flash, and never change them, and the recycle time on my flash didn't slow dowe very much at all. Before I switch to these I would go through 3 or 4 sets of regular AA batteries during a 6 hour reception. Now if your talking about shelf life, all rechargable NiMH AA batteries will loose there charge pretty quick over just a few days.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

I too have had good luck withthe Energizer 2500s, but there are alot of folks who have had problems with them. Does your charger have a "conditioning" mode? This mode discharges the cells to 1V per cell, then charges them back up. They could have developed high impedence levels. I would recommend running them through a few conditioning cycles before throwing in the towel.

coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:25 PM   #6

Thank you. I will look into this conditioning mode bit. That's Greek to me!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:09 PM   #7

Hello Whynot,

I tend to use lower capacity cells. I have found them to be more robust and compensate for their lower capacity by carrying a spare set.

You might also find the low self discharge cells, like the Sanyo Eneloop cells, worth checking out.

Tom
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:19 PM   #8

Hello Caboose,

The problem with the 2500 mAh cells is that they develop a high rate of self discharge. My Sanyo 2500 and Energizer 2500 cells would completely self discharge in as little as 7 days.

They continued to give good performance if you used them right off the charger, but if you let them sit for any length of time, they don't hold up.

You are correct in that NiMh cells loose their charge over time, but are incorrect in your time frame. Healthy NiMh cells will still have around 50% of their initial charge after 100 days of room temperature storage. This is a little longer than "just a few days."

Tom