Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:55 AM   #1

:!: Greetings, well I know it has been discussed way back last year, but I have just been dudded by these "New Breakthrough Advanced, digital user's Best Choice" SANYO Ni-MH 2500 batteries.
So I bought my first digital camera and then went to the recommended - by a friend - battery supplier Olympic at Wingfield in South Australia.
Olympic were great, very helpful, pleasant, a real change to the often couldn't give a . . . attitude. So good, I told several friends about them, some of who have since become customers.
I bought 6 batteries and a charger, not the most expensive, but since speed is not an issue, I took what Olympic suggested.
As is my habit of marking batteries, light bulbs etc to indicate date/usage, I charged them up.
They were great and on my multimeter showed a reference figure of 80mA - this is only a reference figure and may or may not be indicative of stored energy. These batteries performed well in my camera for the first 5 charges but then . . . they began loosing their charge after a couple of days. The packet says 'rechargeable up to 500 times'.
Now I find they will not charge above 50mA.
I thought maybe I am doing something wrong so I will call Olympic and see what they suggest.
For a moment I thought I had called the wrong place. Today when you the customer enter the shop door for the first time, you get the cheezy smile . . . try coming back with a complaint . . . oh boy, what a change in attitude.
'We sell thousands of these and never had a problem. Go to Sanyo's web site and you'll find out every thing about these batteries' - they knew enough about them to recommend them in the beginning but now the onus was on me to work it out.
THEN THIS . . . 'Bring one in and we'll test it - it will cost $10 dollars' [email protected]#%&
'If it's faulty we'll send them to Sanyo and let them decide what to do'.
In the mean time I either put my camera in a drawer or buy more batteries.
Of course it's not that Olympic is around the corner, it is a 40 minute round trip to their shop. Don't expect that to enter the equation though.
So on to the net. . . . and here I am. Joining others who, whilst they have similar problems to mine will be pleased to know that at least one reseller of Sanyo 2500 model HR-3U NiMH batteries - Olympic in SA have never had a problem with them.
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP and just in case you missed it CRAP!
My advice is to not take the chance, given that a couple of members have got some that work, DO NOT BUY THIS RUBBISH. My god is Gatesy's method of trying out the finished product on the poor consumer actually becoming the accepted method of manufacture today. No wonder the globe is heating up . . . check out the heat coming off of me!
Cheers
:!: Esra - South Australia
Esra Trams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:21 AM   #2

Hello Ersa,

Please do me a favor and forward your post to Sanyo.

In defense of Sanyo, they have consistently produce very high quality products, but it seems a bad batch of 2500 mAh cells was introduced to the marketplace. They are aware of this, and have been offering replacement cells, but I am not aware of all of the details.

I have some Sanyo 2500 mAh cells that are still working great, and others that have developed this high self discharge rate. When they work, they work very well. When they don't, they are crap.

I would be happy to test your batteries for free, but there would still be the cost of postage...

When you replace your cells, stay away from the 2500 mAh cells. Sanyo is still a trusted brand and you may want to check out their Eneloop cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:47 AM   #3

Thanks SilverFoxCPF for your suggestions.
Can you advise the correct address for Sanyo?
Maybe I'll forward the page link to them and Olympic so they can see other comments too.
I am aware of their normally high quality products which makes it all the more surprising that this should occur.
Also, the fact that this situation is well known, albeit not by me, makes it an absolute disgrace that a major distributor here in South Australia, should behave in such a manner. If Sanyo has been offering replacement cells, I find it impossible to accept that Olympic SuperStores are not aware of this. To deliberately try to fob me off is nothing short of stupidity.
Cheers
:!: Esra
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:28 PM   #4

Hello Ersa,

I don't have the exact address, but I would suggest you start here...

http://www.sanyo.com.au/

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:40 AM   #5

:!: Thanks Tom,
I have forwarded the page link to Sanyo with my contact details.
I would expect them to be more interested in my problem than has been
the Manager of the aforementioned resale company.
One thing that I find disappointing is that knowing this problem exists,
Sanyo has not recalled the 'faulty' batch, instead leaving the consumer
to deal with it. As said earlier, Sanyo products have always been considered
to be at the top for quality. One would think that a recall would ensure that
people would see that, as proof of Sanyo's dedication to quality. Instead
we have a prime reseller denying any problem exists and insinuating
that I am dreaming!!!
Anyway, I will be sure to let you know re further episodes in this saga.
Cheers
:!: Esra

Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:47 AM   #6

:!: So . . . I sent the link to this page with all my rantings and my contact details, to Sanyo.
Almost immediately I had a response from their Product Marketing. The response was brief and to the point. 'Thankyou for contacting Sanyo . . . We would like to replace your batteries with Eneloop cells'.
A few days later the parcel arrived with 6 new Eneloop cells and the Eneloop Charger. Quite a bit of info about the cells was also in the parcel. I must say I am pretty impressed with the way my complaint was handled by Sanyo.

This in no way diminishes my disappointment with Olympic SuperStores, where it all started. There has been no further discussion with them. They would do well to take a look at the way their supplier - Sanyo - handles complaints and deals with the consumer.

As for the replacement product, the cells were almost fully charged, which is the way they apparently are wherever you buy them - ready to go. Pretty damn handy if you are away from home and your camera etc goes dead. Just buy some Eneloop and keep shooting.

It is too early to make a comment on the Eneloop cells at this time, but I will at some time in the future.
Early indications are that these cells although rated at 2,000 mAh against the original NiMh HR6 cells of 2500 mAh, will in fact last as long, even though the capacity is less. Apparently, the voltage stays high longer, therefore not sending your camera into shutdown mode before the cell is depleted. Many cameras detect a low voltage and then go into shutdown mode, leaving unusable power still in the cell.
Clever hey? Anyway, thanks Tom and thanks Sanyo.
Still not sure why the duds were not recalled but at this time I still rate Sanyo products highly and the attitude A1.
Cheers
:!: Esra - South Australia
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7

I never had any problems with my Sanyo 2700.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:37 PM   #8

I also have to show my approval for Sanyo batteries. I still have some NiCads from almost15 yrears ago which still hold their charge (all 600maH's worth). They simply refuse to die, unlike ALL the other NiCads I have ever owned. I still use them for one of my eletronic devices and they never let me down. Of course, all manufacturers have a dud every now and then but with NiMH's I have struck quite a few "duds" especially with the 2500's. Just last week I opened up a device with a generic brand of 2500's in it and they were covered in a white powder around the electrodes, so in the bin they went immediately, even though they were only a few months old. I should have taken them back to where I bought them, only I wasn't going to touch them any more than I had to to get them into a plastic bag and into the bin...

My brother also uses Sanyo batterries in his radio controlled yachts and they are his favourites...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:32 AM   #9

I have been using the AA Sanyo 2700's since they came out and have never had a problem. I just bought a set of Eneloops and am curious to see how they work out.

As for the response of your store, I would think that to nurture good customer relations, they should have just replaced them on the spot and sent them back to Sanyo themselves, regardless of whether they were aware of the Sanyo 2500 'problem'.

And stores wonder why they are losing sales to the internet.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:05 AM   #10

So what you did is you tested them on the mA scale on your multimeter??

Do you know that this puts an almost DEAD SHORT CIRCUIT on the battery?? That means you can actually DAMAGE the battery, if that is what you did.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote