Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:08 PM   #1

I'm looking for a NiMH charger for AA, AAA's. If it could do 9v, C, & D's that would be great.

Just looking for something with individual battery charging, has discharge feature. Looked at the Maha 204 and 401 series. Was about to buy the 204W, until I realized its only a fast charger. If I could find a 204W + 401FS combined into one, that would be my ideal charger. The MH-B9000 seems to have termination issues. I see a lot of popularity with the Lacrosse B900, however I see a lot of reported problems as well. Not really sure what to buy at this point...I'm afraid whatever I buy if I leave it unattended, something bad will happen.

As I type this, I just blew the dust off my rayovac renewal charger and poped in some AA's to charge. Lets see how far this gets me until I find a permanent solution. Currently watching this rayovac like a hawk since it fried a few batters about 6 years ago when I left them in there for 4 days.:sad:
unrealii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:48 PM   #2

I have been happy with my Maha 401FS charger. I always use the slow charge since it is supposed to be better for the batteries and it never gets very warm.

I remember someone complaining on a forum that fast charging with the 401FS seemed to make the batteries hot. I have never had a need to do a fast charge, since I put the backup batteries in the camera and then do a slow charge on the ones I just took out.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:31 PM   #3

Hello Unrealii,

The termination issues with the C9000 have been fixed. The units now shipping have been improved to eliminate any termination problems.

The C9000 is set up for AA and AAA cells, however if you are handy you can make a battery adapter that allows charging C and D cells as well. The unit has a safety timer that limits the charge to 4000 mAh, so you may have to double charge with higher capacity C and D cells.

The only downside to the C9000 is that it is a little bigger than other chargers.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the info outpost and Tom.

I was leaning towards the 401FS since it had independent charging circuits and a slow charge, however I realize that the 201W has a much better termination detection (d-v, d-zero, time, & temp) where the 401FS only has delta-v. I also realized that with 1000 cycles to play with, losing 10% or so to rapid charging isn't going to make a big diff to me at all. I plan to buy a much more advanced charger in about 6-1.5 years from now which can take care of 9v, c's and d's in addition to AA/AAA's. Only thing stopping me from buying the 201w is that my workout mp3 player uses 1 AAA.

Tom, do you have any pictures of your battery adapter for C's and D's? I figure its easy to find something the size of a AA, run some wires to a radio shack holder for C/D's.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:42 PM   #5

Hello Unrealii,

Sorry, no pictures...

One caution is that a lot of battery holders use a spring contact. Some of them will melt at charging currents approaching 1 amp or higher. Make sure you use a quality holder.

Tom

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:27 PM   #6

How about a Maha MH C808M? It will handle AAA, AA, C and D batteries (sorry, no 9V), has 8 independent charging slots (without spring holders), normal and soft charging modes, and an LCD display to show you the status of each battery. Heck, you could charge 2 D's, 2 C's, 2 AA's, and that one lone AAA for your MP3 player...all at the same time. It's a little pricey, but you'd have to buy two 4-cell chargers to handle 8 batteries at once.

See it here:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...ry-charger.htm

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:59 AM   #7

i'll stick with my 401fs.

Thaat 808 is nice, but too much. I'll wait for it to come down in price.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:27 PM   #8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...160359-0047155

This seems like a good deal. I have one coming so I can't comment directly. However, the good folk over at FatWallet.com liked it. I will condition the batteries and tell you which ones are bad.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:44 PM   #9

Based on what I've read , I wouldn't go with the 401FS if you're charging higher capacity cells (above 2000 mAh). I do own a 401FS, and it's been shelved. I too have never used it on high mode after reading the reviews.

If you charge 2700 mAh cells on slow mode, you're only charging at .1C, which is far below Maha's (C9000 manual recommends charging between .5C and 1C) recommendations. Using thischarge rate with this capacity cell, you risk missed charge terminations, which leads to overcharging of the cells. From what I've read, the 401FS on fast mode "cooks" cells.

If you read the "charging nickel based batteries" article at batteryuniversity.com, you'll findgreatinfo. that supports Maha's recommendationsabout charging NiMH cells.

coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the info copertail. Missed terminations was a concern of mine too. Seeing that the 201w has a better termination circuit, I was tempted to go with that, but that charger gives you no choice but to cook your cells.

So far with the 401fs, 12 2700mah powerex batteries have not missed termination. My brother and I know not to let this thing charge longer than 8 hours unattended - just to be safe.