Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:55 AM   #21

tinman9898 wrote:
Quote:
Kodak z612 camera and have had difficulty obtaining a replacement Klic 8000 battery....anywhere I can obtain and adaptor that will let me use Nimh batteries as a a back up?
I don't think an adapter is necessary for you to try them out, except that you'll need a suitable charger for Ni-MH AAs if you haven't one. There are many cheap ones.

I understood the battery compartment to be identical in the Z612 & Z712, and pairs of Ni-MH AAs should fit (one up, one down, right way round!) straight away. Kodak don't recommend them, or anything but KLIC-8000and disposable lithium CR-V3 & lithium AAbecause of low voltage & short lifetime.

AAs fit in my and other people's Z612 & Z712 cameras. I & some others found very variable and usually short lifetime with (myself 2000mAh) Ni-MH cells, but someone else (whom I know & believe) got 200 shots in a long continuous shoot with 2500mAh cells. He actually put it in print where many people may read it.

Sarah Joyce ('mtclimber' round here) used them successfully after her KLIC-8000s ran out. So I should try it & see for yourself, but not if it's 'mission critical' and carry a disposable lithium CR-V3, which will give reliably long life,to use instead when necessary.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:29 PM   #22

well, I have a Kodak Z740 also and the AA's fit it ok as well as the CR-V3. however in the z612 the battery compartmentcontacts are different and the AA'sdon't work, possibly due to not making contact... Maybe they have changed the contactson later/earlier product runs.....

On comparing the Klic 8000 withAA's it would seem that the AA's are shorter in length which could explain things as they won't make contact in the camera...

Just out of interest does the zoom function work on your Z712 when recording video? On my Z612 the sound distorts and picture goes blurry during zoom. I spoke to Kodak about this and they said it was not a fault with the camera as it was normal for digital still cameras to do this when zooming whilst shooting video....

so basically they are putting a functionon a camera which they know doesn't work properly...

update: just had a look at the contacts in the camera. One contacts with the base of the battery and the other contact is on the side, this would explain why the AA's dont make contact as both contacts on the AA's are on the ends....so looks like an adapter would be required. I think Kodak will have a lot of these cameras returned if they can't sort out their availabilty problem with spare batteries as it looks like you're stuck with using Kodak batteries, which are unobtainable.
tinman9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:35 PM   #23

tinman9898 wrote:
Quote:
does the zoom function work on your Z712 when recording video?
Never tried it, sorry, and not likely to. I use a camcorder if I want video.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:26 PM   #24

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
I got 3 NP-20's and want to get 2 more, just in case. However, top mAh is 750.
Quote:
In total I have 7 NP-20's. And, correction, top Mah seems to be 900.
Quote:
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:32 PM   #25

reppans wrote:
Quote:
romphotog wrote:
Quote:
....As was mentioned, Li-Ion models might not be sold in a few years.
I got 3 NP-20's and want to get 2 more, just in case....
Hope you know that Li-ions degrade with time, regardless of usage. So it is recommended not to stock pile Li-ions
"Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices."
ok, this seems to be a catch-22 situation.
A) Li-Ion for model-X might not be sold as a new model-Y will come out soon; thus, do stock up on batteries.

B)dont stock up on batteries as they degrade; dont keep fully charged/dont keep fully discharged; so what am I supposed to do, carry a charger and only 2 sets of Li-Ions everywhere?

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:05 PM   #26

Hello Romphotog,

I believe you are trying to over analyze things and are making them more difficult than they need to be...

Buy a back up battery, charge it up and store it in your camera bag. If you run out of your main battery, switch to the back up battery.

After 2 - 3 years, run a test on your back up battery to make sure it is still in good condition. If it is not in good condition, relegate your main battery to back up status and purchase a new battery to use as your main battery.

If the battery is no longer available, buy a new camers... :-)

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:08 AM   #27

reppans wrote:
Quote:
romphotog wrote:
Quote:
....As was mentioned, Li-Ion models might not be sold in a few years.
I got 3 NP-20's and want to get 2 more, just in case....
Hope you know that Li-ions degrade with time, regardless of usage. So it is recommended not to stock pile Li-ions as their clocks all start ticking on manufacturing date.

Here's a full explanation... there are others, but this site is generally recognized to be an authority on the subject.

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

"Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices."
An Opinion This is so true , Lions are gone usually3/4 years used or not. Now as is the case ,a lot of the time manufactors of cameras often change the type of lion battery when they upgrade to the next model example all panasonic Fz 1 /2 /3 /4 /5 10 /20 cameras use the same battery, but they changed itagain for themore recent Fz 7 /8 / 30 /50/ 18 cameras . This means if you own the early models you may find in a few years that your superb FZ 20 for example is obsolete because the battery is no longer made , You might find a battery for your few years newerFz 30 but you can bet the next generation of FZ cameras will have yetANOUTHER new lion battery type,and so your FZ30 will also in a few more years be useless as batteries no longer being made as per the earlier FZ20 battery. Panasonic UK replied to me after I wrote to them about this they make batteries for at least7 years for there cameras maybe longer ,not sure yet, It is I think anouther little trick :evilf camera manufactors way of getting you to buy there newest model and not keep your possibly older and nicer FZ 20 for ever .Unlike another poster just said I dont want to allways buy anouther new cameraI would like to allways have power available to purchase and keep using my 20 year old model in the futureas well as my brand new one ,l I like to use my Oly trip and old SLR still, why not , The answer is to only buy a camera that takes AAbatts , Or simple make lions universal in say three or four sizes like AAs ,say small medium large extra large and the camera makers to fit there cameras to one of these four lion sizes simple but maybe not profitable:X Rodo Uk.Exuse bad spelling punctuation ect Dislectick sorry..
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:21 AM   #28

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
Hello Romphotog,

I believe you are trying to over analyze things and are making them more difficult than they need to be...

Buy a back up battery, charge it up and store it in your camera bag. If you run out of your main battery, switch to the back up battery.

After 2 - 3 years, run a test on your back up battery to make sure it is still in good condition. If it is not in good condition, relegate your main battery to back up status and purchase a new battery to use as your main battery.

If the battery is no longer available, buy a new camers... :-)

Tom
Buy a new camera GREAT ! The makers will love you for that advice, we are all greatfull to learn our cameras with lion batteries have a use by date and then its useless junk . How much ££££was that top of the range Nikon I was looking at the other day ?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:14 PM   #29

Thanks everyone. now everything is clear....

http://positon.com.ua/
Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote