Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:23 AM   #1

I was given an old (don't know how old) Eveready QCC4 3-hour charger. The warning label on it says to only use it with NiCads. Is it safe\advisable to charge NiMH batteries with it?
dlwinter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:16 PM   #2

Hello Dlwinter,

No.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3

I'm curious as to why you can't use NIMH in a NICAD charger? Now I've never done it and I have a nicad dumb charger here but just wndering what is the reason behind it then the simple no answer?

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:42 PM   #4

Hello Zero_Enigma,

NiMh chemistry is less tolerant of abuse and overcharging then NiCd chemistry.

NiCd chargers frequently did not utilize any means of terminating the charge and simply pumped current into the cell for a set amount of time. If your cell is partially charged and you decided to recharge, it would be overcharged. When charge termination algorithms were used, their values were set for the NiCd response to charging.

NiMh chemistry exhibits a smaller end of charge signal, and when NiMh cells are charged on a NiCd charger, they end up overcharged. The overcharging results in roughly a 40% loss in cycle life.

You can charge NiCd cells on a NiMh charger. They will end up slightly under charged, but that is better than cooking them with an overcharge.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 1:58 AM   #5

pls dont!!i damaged my Uniross 2500mAh batt in just 2months of use on a Ni-Cd charger ,i came to know that the charger that i had ,didnt charge aa ni-mh bat but only aa ni-cd and aaa ni-mh bats!!!wat Keoeeit said is true but only if the charging current is small,,and u will have to keep track of how many hours had gone to avoid overcharging
prandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 9:00 AM   #6

prandi wrote:
Quote:
but only if the charging current is small,and u will have to keep track of how many hours had gone to avoid overcharging
Very true, but if you DO CHECK the current rating and keep track of the charge time, then you could use such a charger.

However, with the relatively low cost of NiMH chargers, I would just invest in a good modern NiMH charger.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote