Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 17, 2002, 9:13 PM   #1

Default Best Battery Setup for Coolpix 4500?

Hello.

For the Nikon Coolpix series that uses the EN-EL1 battery pack, is there a better option than buying another Nikon battery and keeping both charged?

I really don't want the bulk of a battery pack. On the Ritz camera site they sold a $29 battery for the Coolpix, but I am not sure about quality.

Is there a well known non-Nikon brand that lasts longer or am I better off with the more expensive Nikon branded stuff?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:11 PM   #2

Default Nikon 4500 Battery setup

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaseball
Hello.

For the Nikon Coolpix series that uses the EN-EL1 battery pack, is there a better option than buying another Nikon battery and keeping both charged?

Is there a well known non-Nikon brand that lasts longer or am I better off with the more expensive Nikon branded stuff?
Hi Jase,

I used a Digipower 8200 battery pack with my Toshiba M70 and it worked like a charm. The M70 battery lasted for about 50-75 shots, and the battery pack kicked out another 100-125 which was stupendous (especially for long astrophotography sessions outside).
It was also kinda cool that the pack slowly recharges the internal battery.

I recently picked up a Coolpix 4500 to replace the M70. I'll test out the battery pack on it when I pick up the adaptor cable and report back here with the results in the next few days.stay tuned.

-Astro
astrophotoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 11:06 PM   #3

Default Yep

Well, I double checked the connections to ensure no chance of shorting and plugged the 8200 into my Coolpix 4500. I took about twenty pictures with it and downloaded them to the computer with only the 8200 to power it (the internal Nikon battery was in the recharger).

I haven't run an endurance test yet. That'll probably be Sunday night if it's clear. But if it's anything like the M70, it'll be great. The only caveat is the strange location of the DC input on the 4500.

Is the 4500 great or what? It'll take me a month or two just to figure out all it's little nuances.

-Astro
astrophotoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 3:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies and checking out the 8200 working with the Coolpix 4500 astrophotoboy.

You did say battery pack, right? I'm not sure I want to give up the 'loose,' feel when it's just both hands and camera. I love the ergonomics the swivel offers as well as the added ease and grips the design offers, without cables, straps, etc.

It's been awhile and I've waited 2.5 years or so at the least for the Coolpix model I wanted to buy. Almost bit on the $100 off on the 995 from Nikon this past X'mas, but I never liked the frontal popup flash, lack of modes, or plastic lens section and figured a new swivel Coolpix must be on the horizon.

The 995 also cost $699 or something and was a very questionable move on Nikon's part, but at least the 4500 takes this camera family into a new level.

If it comes to buying 1-3 more batteries, then oh well, I'll buy it when I can.

My style is to have the camera off, unless it is an area where I need to be ready for good shots, however there is still that slight lag I feel in response when I am trying to catch a fast moving target, but this camera does far more right with only a few minor wrong.

One more negative comment I agree with is they could use the common and more powerful rechargeable NiMh vs making us go buy battery packs or more EN-EL1 batteries or battery clones.

Also with a battery pack, couldn't I go with a mini battery, cigarette connector with an 8.5 DC adaptor, wear a belt or back pack and run the camera on for a very long time?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 7:01 AM   #5
NHL

Jaseball

I don't want to cramp my style either, but a car R/C battery disguise in a leather cell phone holder around your waist is probably not that bad and can be had on the cheap also. The really neat thing about this approach is with the quick disconnect connector on theses cells you can make individual decent cable hardnesses to fit any camera brands...

BTW Nikon has a perfect reason to use the EN_EL1 since they can make the cameras both smaller and lighter this way (ie 990/995) with the new Coolpix line. The cuteness of the cameras has a wider market appeal, but the trade-off is battery life as well as the exclusion of the use of microdrive which has a much cheaper cost/Mb...

[Edited on 7-20-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 10:51 AM   #6

Is it true that that cameras based on the EL battery can not use th microdrive?
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:07 AM   #7
NHL

You can use the microdrive... It just won't last very long because of the battery is only rated for 650mAh (NiMh almost double that!), and the microdrive takes 250mA at it's peak! This is not uncommon since some of the weaker powered Canon P&S have the same issue...

That why I questioned Nikon for switching to EN-EL1 for the 995, that can accept a microdrive, against the 990 which take NiMH but can't fit a microdrive!

[Edited on 7-20-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 10:42 PM   #8

Default MicroDrive and CoolPix 5000

I use the PowerEx Lithium-ion batter pack

(www.thomas-distributing.com), $59, belt clip pager type power supply, with a 340 mb MicroDrive (Iomega brand, IBM make). No problem shooting 200 pictures in four hours without turning off the LCD display.
kkay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 3:34 PM   #9

Default battery nikon 4500

I purchased the 700 mAh PowerEx Lithium-ion battery and used it this weekend. I was caught off guard when it ran out of power (it didn't seem like I had been using it for very long). I had only taken about 20 shots, but I lost track of time. I'll be more careful to document it next time out. It was only the 2nd charge cycle for this battery and it was warm when I put it in the charger, so it may not have gotten a full charge.

I've decided to make a 6 cell "AA" nimh external battery pack that I can keep in my camera bag as an emergency spare.

Thomas Distributing sells a 6 cell "AA" battery holder and I'll get the rest of the components from a local source. I have a bunch of the 1800 nimh batteries that I use with the Coolpix 950. I'll report later on how well this combination works.

There is also a company on the web that sells an 800 mAh replacement battery.

http://www.batterybarn.com/enel1.htm

I can't seem to find out anything about the company that makes this battery (VidPro Corp), so I am a bit skeptical about the claim for 800 mAh. Anyone have any experience with this battery?

[Edited on 7-22-2002 by tmurrell]
tmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 1:51 PM   #10

I unwittingly bought a Power 2000 second battery for my 4500 from B&H. It was $10 cheaper than Nikon and is rated at 800mAh rather than the 650mAh for the Nikon brand.

Whether it is a good battery remains to be seen.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote