Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:19 PM   #11
mrb

There was another thread recently about this noise. I just purchased the C9000, and noticed a noise right away. It is an irritating high pitched "chirp". I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it kind of sounds like an electronic fire alarm (of course not that loud). It seems to chirp every time the display changes, continuously throughout the whole cycle.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:56 AM   #12

Hello Zero_Enigma,

When the BC-900 first came out, there was nothing that came close to its feature set. I was content with it in spite of its poor buttons, tempermental cross talk, and then came the melt down issues. I have used mine extensively for several years and it has performed well.

With the introduction of the C9000, the bar has been raised. More features, more selections, the much needed Break-In mode, and the ability to both charge and discharge at higher rates. The early units had some issues with slow charging rates and terminations, but this has been taken care of.

I can live with a slightly noisy unit with a display that is too bright. I have gotten very good at entering the slot by slot data, and can program the C9000 about as fast as the BC-900. Since I received my C9000, my BC-900 has been in retirement. I think it stands head and shoulders above the BC-900.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:26 PM   #13

Tom,

So which one do you think I should go for? I'm looking for one that is RELIABLE, durable, and accurate on the diagnostic/analysis.

I originally was leaning on the BC-900 but now they have a BC-700 out. Seeing as Maha has a srong reputation in the charging field I was thinking of going with them.

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:40 PM   #14

Hello Zero Enigma,

Since I have received my C-9000, my BC-900 has been retired...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:56 AM   #15

As of this moment in time, my choice is the C-9000 without a doubt if you only charge AA or AAA cells. After using several chargers including LaCrosse models in the past few years and being disappointed with them all for one reason or another, I findthe PowerexC-9000to be an outstanding charger, IMHO.

The only "faults" are the easily readable back-lit screen with LARGE numbers and words that requires scrolling through each battery slot due to the large-easy-on-aging-eyes numbers/letters and the very occasional (on my unit)high pitched MOSFET squeal.

Overall, a great unit and one I recommend to my college/photography students.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:16 AM   #16

WTF is MOSFET squeal?

Sounding like a Misfits concert. :lol:

Zero_Enigma
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:51 PM   #17

Ok update time. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that voiced thier experiences and helped me with my choice.

I bought the C-9000 in Dec/07 after researching for a while. I love the units features but the size of the unit kinda hit me a bit when I opened up the packaging the first time. This unit is a little big but I totally understand the cooling reasons for it. I'll just have to go bag hunting to find a bag that will work with my gear and that can accomedate the C-9000 as well in the size/style of the bag I can live with.

One thing that does bug me is the data scrolling. I like how when you press the SLOT button you can instantly see all the mAh of the battery right away but the voltage data takes like 5 seconds to get to per each slot to wait for the charger to cycle that data. Another annoying thing is to program each slot over and over. Wished there was an extra button or two that you can program your favorite charging current then the default 1000mA if you left the unit alone. Also wished there was a way to apply that programmed charge to all 4 chambers then programming each individually. However for those that like the individual programming that's good as you can program each chamber solo but sometimes you just want a quick bank charge at the current you want when you're in a rush to leave somewhere and want to set the charge without holding up other people.

I really hope Maha comes out with a 8xAA/AAA version of this unit and also a 8xAA/AAA/C/D model. Kinda sucks when you're breaking in one package of cells that need like 36hrs and you can't charge anything else because the slots are all taken up. With a 8 bank charger you can use 4 chambers for the break in while charging your cells in the other 4 chambers or heck break in 8 cells at once but placed in at different times so you can have one set finish earlier while the other set is still breaking the cells in if you put the cells in at the half way point of the first set.

All in all. I like the charger dispite some of the minor issues.

Zero_Enigma
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:53 PM   #18

Would you pay twice as much for an 8 bank version of the 9000?

If so, the simplest solution is to buy a second one

The other benefit of having 2 x 4 banks is that you can just take half your 8 bank charger when travelling

servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:27 PM   #19

The 800S has some faults, namely it isn't a true smart charger evidently. There are some reviews about it on the Amazon site.

Question....The manual for the Maha 9000 states quite clearly that you shouldn't charge a battery at less than 0.33 C, which for a 2100 mah battery would be 700 ma. If you do, the manual says the charger may not shut off when it's fully charged.

Has anyone had any problems with this charger using it for a slow, gentle charge of less than 0.33C ?
Stan
magkibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:14 AM   #20

The instructions that come with the 9000 I bought late last year now recommend charging at .5 the cells rating to insure proper termination.

Works well for me.

------------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote