Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:37 PM   #1

Hello All,

Please DO NOT buy anything from RipVan100.

Here is my experience with them:

I ordered one of their chargers (4000N) and Sanyo batteries. I got no order confirmation of any kind. After a week, I went to the contact page on their web site. I sent them an email (as they "prefer") asking about my order. Three days go by, NO RESPONSE. I called them at the number on their web-site repeatedly. Nobody ever answers the phone. I left2 messages asking for a call-back with my phone number. Nobody returned my calls. Another week went by. Searched around the web site and finally found a notice saying that all "backordered" chargers (I had no idea mine was backordered because this guy doesn't COMMUNICATE at ALL) would not be arriving until late MAY (I ordered in March). I emailed him again. NO RESPONSE.

After giving RipVan100 multiple chances over a 2+ week period to communicate with me EVEN ONCE, I finally called Amex and told them to cancel the charges. They are now investigating this business and I recieved a letter from Amex saying that they had received no response from him either...

BE WARNED!!!!

Steve, please post this in a sticky spot on the board so that others don't have the same experience I that have.

Thanks!
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2

Hello Jaynlisa,

Sorry to hear that...

If you are still interested in the 4000N, you may want to check here.

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=508

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:17 PM   #3

I have ordered both chargers and batteries from them over the years and have never had a problem. Ordered items arrived promptly.
To be fair, I have not ordered from them in a couple of years.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:44 PM   #4

Jaynlisa, I'm sorry you had a negative experience with an online retailer, but if there was a sticky for every bad experience someone had with an online store we'd have to skip through 3 pages of stickies before finding any new posts. Compared to many other people's online shopping experiences, yours didn't turn out very bad at all considering all you lost was some of your time.

I'd recommend you take your complaints to epinions.com and resellerratings.com. People go to these sites to find out whether or not an online retailer seems reputable. Resellerratings.com in particular is very reliable, and I was surprised to see that RipVan100 has an 8.79/10 rating. A post there would almost certainly be more valuable than one stuffed away in a battery sub-forum.

While there, I suggest you take the opportunity to investigate other online stores that carry the products you're shopping for so that you very likely won't have to deal with these kinds of inconveniences in the future.

Good luck.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Jaynlisa, I'm sorry you had a negative experience with an online retailer, but if there was a sticky for every bad experience someone had with an online store we'd have to skip through 3 pages of stickies before finding any new posts. Compared to many other people's online shopping experiences, yours didn't turn out very bad at all considering all you lost was some of your time.

I'd recommend you take your complaints to epinions.com and resellerratings.com. People go to these sites to find out whether or not an online retailer seems reputable. Resellerratings.com in particular is very reliable, and I was surprised to see that RipVan100 has an 8.79/10 rating. A post there would almost certainly be more valuable than one stuffed away in a battery sub-forum.
Corpsy, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that "all you lost was some of your time". Well I haven't gotten my $40 back either, so not sure why you are defending this jerk.

Also, I assumed that people reading about battery chargers might be interested in hearing what kind of vendor this is, since his product is reviewed on this site. Since I posted above, I have called him again 2 more times, and no answer or response at all. Telling me to take my complaint elsewhere will not help the people who might read thissiteand search on RipVan100.

BTW, there are many other complaints I found on the web about this guy not responding to calls or emails, or confirming shipment.

Also, it wasn't just that - he took the order KNOWING full well that he couldn't ship it for a month and a half, and didn't say a WORD about it. He also charged my credit card immediately, even though he knew he had no product to ship for 45 days or more.

If you want to deal with RipVan100, go ahead,but I don't recommend it.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:53 PM   #6

I wasn't defending the retailer, only pointing out that there are dozens (at least) of other online retailers that are as bad or worse, that because of that your single post would likely go unnoticed if every single one of those retailers had a sticky dedicated to them in every forum that deals with products they might carry, and that most negative stories I've read ended worse than yours.

You lost some time and possibly $40 if your credit card company doesn't recover the funds. Many people spend hundreds of dollars only to receive a camera that turns out to be refurbished or gray market with no valid warranty, even when the website claims the products are otherwise, leaving the customer to either accept the inferior product or file a lawsuit. Others find that once they order their product which is listed as being in stock, it is back ordered for months until the customer eventually either cancels the order or harasses the company non-stop with threats of legal action.

When I had a $300 mp3 player break down after only 3 months of use, and then had to pay to ship it to the manufacturer only to recieve another broken one a month later, then had to ship it back and wait another month for another one, after many hours spent on the phone either on hold or arguing with some woman who worked Thursdays and Fridays who happily agreed that their service was next to worthless, I took my complaints to epinions.com because I knew that's where many people shopping for these products would look for these kinds of complaints. I didn't demand that some MP3 player forum post my single complaint as a permanent fixture to warn everyone about how horribly I got ripped off because that's not what these sites are there for.

This forum is about battery chargers and batteries, and if you had a shoddy battery charger that would be perfectly appropriate to complain about or mention to anyone else looking at the same thing. If Steve creates another forum dedicated to negative shopping experiences, then your complaint would be perfectly appropriate there, though even it was made into a sticky it would be one of hundreds of stickies.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:58 PM   #7

Sorry to hear that... I order a charger, multimeter and batts from RipVan back in January after reading Steve's review here. Got my order delivered to my door, as I recall, within one week. I've been very, very happy with both the charger and Sanyo batteries (esp. after a horrible experience with knock-off/made in China "Power2000s").

In fact, between his product and service, this has been one of my few online purchases that I really wanted to go out of my way to write a testimonial.... only I've had a really hard time registering/logging-in to his forum. And he hardly seems to post on it anymore.... perhaps this business is taking a back seat for him now?
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:42 AM   #8

Corpsy - He has a right to post his experience here, this is an open forum.

I placed an order for a Lightning charger through Ripvan a couple months ago. While I wouldn't say my experience was not as bad as yours, it wasn't good.

Emails weren't responded to, I got the same "they're on backorder status" you did even though they verified that it would be going out 3 days prior.

I specifically explained that my company name must be on the shipping label, it was not, I had to jump through hoops to ensure that the USPS wouldn't return the package.

The fact that they're now being sold under a different name through Amondotech makes me wonder if they've sold their business and customer service is deteriorating.

Iwouldn't recommend someone to do business with them after the experience I had.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote