Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:15 AM   #11

1) its a fine one device BP? limited to 1 voltage. on a per device level to run my HS5600D in HV i'd need a few more cells.
2) is there a controller to maintain output or are you just relying on the discharge curve? the controller there is just driving the LEDs

as a build it yourself system it's cool it will do the job well.

i think when NHL compared the power density to a DCB it was unwarranted. where the DCB is power/versatility/control, this unit is raw power minus the other 2 factors.

[Edited on 7-28-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 2:44 PM   #12
NHL

I'm sure you are competent enough to do a T or tap off from the other cells... Why overdesign it. All portable devices running of fluctuating batteries must have an internal regulator so why add more cost? Would you design a consumer device without one?

You don't have to run the HS5600 in HV either it's still the same power, beside you'll lose more by stepping up due to efficiency in the conversion, but then I'm sure you know that already!

Steve is just trying to save the $200 from buying the MB5700, and you're asking him to Pony up $250!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:27 PM   #13

I agree. The price of Nikons extra handle gadget is bizarre.

As for a meter, I did try a small digital voltmeter, caost about $10, works fine. I just do not see the need for adding the bulk.

I WOULD like to find a charger that could do the full pack!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 7:15 AM   #14
NHL

The Maha C777 will charge the whole pack! It's batteries holder looks a lot like the RadioShack...

[Edited on 7-29-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 5:21 AM   #15
Bob

Default Power for Nikon 5700

I am looking at getting an MB5700 powerpack and a bagfull of rechargable batteries to go in it.
My problem - I have to spend a week in Africa with no access to power. (Also no access to a trash can for old batteries either on top of Kilimanjaro).
My question - how long will the MB5700 give me in operating time, compared to the 90mins for the standard battery? Should I just buy 3 more standard batteries and save the wieght!!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:42 AM   #16

when you say no access to power. no generators at all or cigarette lighter plug ins?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 3:27 AM   #17
Bob

Default Nikon 5700 power question

Absolutely no power, I will be there for 3 weeks, but for I will be on foot travelling light for around a week. I will solve the image storage problem with a Nixvue Vista, its just the power/wieght issue that I need to find a solution for.
Thanks
Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 1:31 AM   #18

Hi Guys,
I got here a bit late on this battery question, but it sounds like Steve has solved the problem by making an external battery pack.

Regardless of the ratings on the batteries, all the Nikon CP cameras work very well with 6 volt external battery packs. My favorite for the money is the Eagle Eye Dual-Force Pro which has an incredible 5,000 mAh capacity and two plug sources so you can power a camera and flash unit simultaneously, or use one side until exhausted and then use the other. It powers my CP4500 for over 1500 shots with the LCD on continually and running a micro drive - I haven't exhausted it yet in use. It comes with either a U.S. or European charger and your choice of connectors for major camera manufacturers which use external batteries. It also has a great belt pouch available and is quite compact. I plan on doing a mini-review of it later this week - so I'll post pictures and specifics then. Costs around $116 U.S. plus small shipping charge.

Check it out at:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 1:53 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
Absolutely no power, I will be there for 3 weeks, but for I will be on foot travelling light for around a week. I will solve the image storage problem with a Nixvue Vista, its just the power/wieght issue that I need to find a solution for.
Thanks
Bob

Check out the solar chargers:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/icp_solar.html

It isn't the fastest thing and it only does 4 AA at a time but it is better than nothing. If you have one of those homemade NiMH packs that uses AA's then you could use one of these.

-Steve

[Edited on 8-14-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote