Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:15 PM   #1

Default Questions on the conditioning of NIMHs...

As suggested on the Maha website, is it only necessary to condition NIMH batteries every 10 or so charges? Does this hold true even if you are charging batteries that aren't empty, IE at half capacity? Will any memory effect generated by the batteries be wiped away with a single conditioning?
Also, I read that in order to get the most out of new batteries, they need to be charged/uncharged a few times. Is this true? If so, is it big enough of a difference to fully charge and then condition (or drain through normal use) the batteries before taking them on an extensive photo shoot? Or is the difference negligible?
Thanks.
Wrestling2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
I read that in order to get the most out of new batteries, they need to be charged/uncharged a few times. Is this true? If so, is it big enough of a difference to fully charge and then condition (or drain through normal use) the batteries before taking them on an extensive photo shoot? Or is the difference negligible?
It is true. I've noted 10-15% increase in run time after two or three charge/discharge cycles. However, I couldn't justify to myself the waste of charge cycles (and energy) to discharge my new NiMH cells in the battery charger, when they could be performing much more useful duty in my camera discharging while taking photos.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote