Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:42 AM   #1

Default Nikon Software Not Reading Modifed JPEG's

Transferred images from camera to PC/Mac don't show up in the "thumbnail" mode once I edit them in Photoshop.

Can anyone explain this?

I select the thumbnail, the press the "edit" icon and choose Photoshop. I then make simple adjustments (audo-level) then click on "SAVE". Then when I go back to the thumbnail view in the Nikon software, the thumbnail appears blank!

Bowisc
Bowisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 4:31 PM   #2

There are different types of JPEG files and the Nikon one has the details of camera settings, exposure, focus type, etc.

In the manual for the Coolpix 4500 it states once you use any editing software and make any sort of changes there is a chance the details and other settings will stop working.

Their suggestion was to only edit copies of pictures and not the original transfers.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 2:54 AM   #3

Did you rotate the pictures in PS 6? Did you really try both Mac OS and PC, so it isn't the Win XP problem?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 6:36 AM   #4
NHL

This is called the EXIF header where manufacturers can insert their specific info, as well picture settings (ie f-stop, shutter speed, etc...) and a part of the jpeg file. This header is usually 'strip-off' by any application that does't use it (even opening and saving a file without editing). A copy preserve this info... hence always store the originals in a safe place until newer editor/programs start catching up to this idea...

BTW this header also contains printer information.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote